Petrol Lawnmower help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I have recently bought a 2nd hand petrol lawnmower, its a partner 146. The problem is with the engine which is a Briggs and stratton quantum 35. Basically when i got it the housing which holds the air filter was full of oil, i cleaned it up and did the first cut of the year with the same air filter. I received my new filter, and when i took out the old air filter, it was soaked in oil again. Is this just due to the filter being clogged or is there too much oil in the mower. I don't see how it can get in there! I've put in the new filter but haven't turned it over yet as i don't want to wreck the new filter.

Thanks in advance

Shaun

Sponsored Links
Have you actually checked your oil level.Does it have a paper filter or a foam one.

I checked it again today as it was getting dark last night when I checked. It's literally 1mm over the full mark on the dipstick. Would it have such an effect being that much over?

Oh and its a paper filter, mounted on the side.

Mind you the mower was in a right state when I first got it, so maybe its just oil working its way out as it can breath now lol

Sponsored Links
Keep the oil level as it should be, but what people don't realise that when cleaning or clearing the under deck, only tip the machine back on its handles, never on either side.....oil passes through a rubber breather pipe into the air filter housing, or into the exhaust on the other side.
Pattern filters are much cheaper than the genuine Briggs ones!
John :)

Thanks John, so if i drain a little oil out, run the engine for a few minutes and replace the air filter again do you think this excess oil should drain out from where it shouldn't be?

Yep, thats the ploy to take.....usually these motors have the dipstick fully in to check the level, and the level always creeps up the pipe when the machine is standing, so pull the dipstick out, wipe it and dip again for the correct reading.
Unfortunately you cant clean the old paper filter, but feel free to run the engine for a while without it if you want. Any excess smoke will disappear after 5 minutes running and once things are stabilised, you'll be able to assess the motor's condition.
John :)

yeah i pushed the dipstick right in like you said after wiping it. There's a new air filter in, i just didn't want to turn it over and ruin it straight away. I think tomorrow i'll take off the filter and just run it for 5 minutes and see how it looks.

Thanks again D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back