Raised Decking (1m) Foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning a tiered deck for my garden and am researching how to do the foundations/subframe for the raised portion of it. I'll be going to 1 metre high on the upper tier, and around 0.5m on the second tier.

My ideal solution involves concrete footings (raised above ground level using a timber concrete form), bolting down a post support like this, then fastening the post to the support. Beams then bolt onto the posts.

A second method I've been recommended to do is just build piers out of blocks/bricks and secure the beams directly to them. I've been told that I can lay these directly onto existing concrete flags, but personally I think that would cause them to move a bit and stress the foundations so this would probably need concrete footings too, correct?

Can anyone recommend which method will be better? I need to build six piers/posts for my current design, so the post/support solution would cost about £30 per post (£12 for a 4x4 post, £8 for the steel support, £5 for the M10 bolts/sleeves, £5 for the concrete). So block piers obviously much cheaper than all that!

An additional constraint is I want to be able to access under the decking and so that rules out building a solid wall out of blocks, which would have been a nice solution.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Also, if I attached timber posts using metal brackets, how can I ensure the posts end up exactly vertical? The concrete should set roughly flat, but small errors introduced at the footings will be much more noticable at the top of the post won't they?

are you aware off the need for planning permission on decking higher than 300mm :?: :?:

Yep thanks I posted another thread about that and am currently drawing the site plans for my application.

Posted this thread as well to try and figure out how I'm going to do the foundation as that's currently my main uncertainty

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back