Repointing patio: should I use Geofix?

jff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an Indian Stone patio that is in need of repointing and, although I've never done anything like it before, I'd like to give it a go. Most of the gaps are not very deep nor wide; for example:

However, some of them are quite deep, like this one:

At some points, there are also some weeds growing:

Recently, I had another part of the patio relaid by someone else who used Geofix. He also used some of the Geofix to cover one of the parts that he did not relay, but the Geofix did not work as expected, as you can see in the following photo:

The Geofix comes out very easily!

So, my questions are:

1. How would you fix the problems shown in the photos above? Would you use Geofix? If so, would I need to remove the existing mortar or can I apply Geofix on top of it to just fill the gaps?

2. If I use Geofix, will I be able to get a colour to match the existing pointing? The grey colour is too dark; I am not sure about the buff colour. Are there any other options?

3. Two or three slabs have minor movement. Would I have to lift these slabs or can I just stop the movement by filling the gaps?

Any help is appreciated.
Many thanks, Joao

Sponsored Links
No I wouldn't use geofix.

You'll struggle to get a colour match to the exiting bits, and it's not a structural product so it won't hold loose slabs in place.

• Thanks
Reactions: jff
If you want to use any of the similar products, I would recommend Stonemarket's product which goes on wet - very easy to use and sets very well once dry. You still need to strike it with a pointing iron, so its not as quick as the adverts would suggest, but it does away with the possibility of staining. I have been using it for a couple of years now and am impressed.

You'll have to strip out all the old stuff, though, but you should do that whatever you use to re-point with.

• Thanks
If you want to use any of the similar products, I would recommend Stonemarket's product which goes on wet - very easy to use and sets very well once dry. You still need to strike it with a pointing iron, so its not as quick as the adverts would suggest, but it does away with the possibility of staining. I have been using it for a couple of years now and am impressed.

You'll have to strip out all the old stuff, though, but you should do that whatever you use to re-point with.

Thanks for the help. Do you have any advice on how to strip out all the old stuff without damaging the slabs?

Thanks,
Joao

Sponsored Links
Mortar rake or an angle grinder with a diamond blade will be quickest.

If its really loose an old screwdriver or crow/wrecking bar will do.

• Thanks
Just be aware that ther screwdrive route will make it easy to accidentally lift slabs, so beware. (That said, they shouldn't lift so easily anyway!)

Hi,

Thanks for all your previous answers!

Do you think that I need to strip out *all* the mortar between the slabs, even if it is not cracked?

For example, in the following photo, there are a few edges that are not cracked and some thin cracks. Should I cut out all the mortar or should I cut out only the edges that are cracked? (Can the thinner cracks be fixed without cutting out the mortar?)

Thanks,
Joao

Judging by that last picture I wouldn't worry about repointing that bit if you can manage to match the mortar colour from new to old.

Try raking out the mortar from 2 or 3 of the worst slabs, mix up your mortar and then repoint to see how it looks and how long it takes you.

You can then make a judgement on time vs effort vs appearance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back