Shed Leaking Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

About six months ago, when we moved into our new house, I got excellent advice on this forum about our oven so I thought I would try again with a fresh problem.

We have a very large shed in our back garden and it is leaking water. I managed to get up onto the roof and it seems there is a large hole in the felt, which is why water is getting through. I tried repairing with a flashing tape designed for this purpose ( http://www.bond-it.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=66&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3 ) but the first heavy rainfall we had the leak returned. I went back onto the roof to find that the tape had come unstuck, presumably the adhesive on it was not waterproof enough.

Does anybody have any ideas to fix the leak? I guess we could have the entire shed re-felted but obviously that would be quite expensive just to fix a leak so I would welcome any other suggestions. Is there a different product you could recommend to patch the hole? Or a good waterproof glue we could use to seal the existing tape?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
cheap shed felt only last around 5 years
probably time to replace i am afraid
or go for good money after bad with repairs

picture if possible please

Sponsored Links
It depends how much you like this shed and if you plan on keeping it for a few years yet?

We've only got a small shed with a sloping roof(4ftx6ft) and the roof felt was in poor condition and the shed was wet inside. The wood used as the roof was starting to rot too.

I made a new roof for our shed and its been fine ever since (2 years).

Luckily where I work we get a lot of scrap wood that we pay to have taken away. As a result any of us employees can take as much of the wood as we like as essentially we are saving the company money :D

I took 4 lengths of sawn timber (2 inch x 2 inch) and made a 4 sided frame. I bought some cheap, thin MDF and nailed this onto the frame. I then re-felted all of this and, with assistance lifted the new frame onto the top of the shed. I just hit a few long nails in at each frame corner to make sure it was well secure to the shed structure itself. Job done.

Ok, not the most technically perfect repair but its lasted 2 years and the inside of the shed is dry as a bone. Remember, the last 2 years we have had heavy snow too.

mdf should be avoided as it will disintegrate when wet
but commendable for recycling

mdf should be avoided as it will disintegrate when wet
but commendable for recycling

Very true.

It cost me £30 in total so given thats its already lasted 2 years ive more than had my money from it. Ill be looking at a new shed in the next 2-3 years so if it lasts until then ill be very happy. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back