Suitable wood for shelves in a garden shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Probably a very silly question, but here goes anyway...

I have a new shed (10 x 6) and I want to put some shelves up. I'm intending to put some metal support racks onto the structural uprights of the shed wall so that I can mount movable shelf supports and then use *some* sort of wood for the shelves themselves. The supports will be every 30 inches but the loads might be significant and I don't want any sag. Shelves will be in the region of 9-12" deep. Also, whilst the shed is dry it will get cold and probably be a bit humid so I'm concerned about using anything moisture sensitive that might swell or deform. I'm probably looking at either 4 or 5 shelves that are each 8' wide, so between 32-40 feet of shelving in total.

I'm thinking that ply or OSB could be affected by moisture and I'd prefer something that I can use off the shelf (pun not intended) without having to treat it/paint it first. That makes me think that pine/pse redwood or pine furniture board would be suitable, but might get a bit pricy?

Can anyone tell me:

1) Whether I'm being a fool about the water resistance of OSB and I should just go with that?
2) Whether pine/pine furniture board would be as good as anything in terms of strength, moisture resistance and cost?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
dont go for brackets as they will distort the shed unless you have ply fitted on all walls

as greggs said scaffold boards on batons at each end if 10ft with central support to the floor at 5ft
if the timbers on the walls are less than 3x2"[suspect 30x55mm ish] sheet material on the walls will help spread the load

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back