are you dissapointed with 10w led pendant bulbs ??

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid I don't bother with any eco-nonsense. Still got a big stock of trad, incandescent bulbs.

Still on sale in shops, even places like Aldi. They get around the ban by selling what's known as rough service bulbs, usually for workshop inspection lamps.

I don't think the eco things are developed enough yet, some give a weird light and there are worries about UV light emitted from the fluorescent tree-hugger bulbs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/9498092/Retailers-avoid-ban-on-traditional-light-bulbs.html

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
They are developed enough to be viable, the problem is hundreds of different types, many from ****ty manufacturers, you need to research to make sure you buy ones that give light to your preference/enough/durable/not a rip off price.

A 60w incandescent is a 60w incandescent.

whilst i fully agree about choice without big brother

with a possible 88p in the £ saving in running costs worth looking at ;)
these bulbs are a very close size match to a normal 100w bulb

a bulb in use for an average 10 hrs a day will cost around 45p per watt per year so 88w saved would be around 11p a day 77p a week £3.25 a month or £40 a year saved over a 100w incandecent bulb :D

so your choice really change 10 bulbs and have a holiday every year for nothing :cool:

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid I don't bother with any eco-nonsense. Still got a big stock of trad, incandescent bulbs.

Still on sale in shops, even places like Aldi. They get around the ban by selling what's known as rough service bulbs, usually for workshop inspection lamps.

I don't think the eco things are developed enough yet, some give a weird light and there are worries about UV light emitted from the fluorescent tree-hugger bulbs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/en...d-ban-on-traditional-light-bulbs.html[/QUOTE]

I agree. Yet another diktat from Brussels 'to save the planet', completely disregarding China's attitude to ecology!

I, too, favour traditional lamps with one exception: we have seven outside lights which, for security reasons, are left on during the hours of darkness and for that reason we use fluorescent ones there.

My only worry about making general use of 'rough service' lamps is the suggestion that, because they are officially described as 'unsuitable for domestic use', there may be an insurance problem should anything untoward happen.

How true is this?

Friends of mine have just had LED lamps installed/replaced. The 7w lamp on their landing, illuminates it far better than the old 60w lamp it replaced. ;) ;)

Surely the 'unsuitable for domestic use' is solely related to the 'banning' of incandescent lamps and nothing to do with their function.

In other words, a lie.

I stand to be corrected.

Surely the 'unsuitable for domestic use' is solely related to the 'banning' of incandescent lamps and nothing to do with their function.

In other words, a lie.

I stand to be corrected.

yes exactly my thoughts
"rough service" is off a greater standard than domestic as in moving vehicles or high vibration situations so "not suitable for domestic" is indeed a lie as they are very very suitable

Oh yes, I agree with you both, but aren't insurance companies renowned for their ability to wriggle out of paying up?

Any excuse that an insurer can use to not pay out (in this scenario, after a fire), they will use. You'd be mad to think any differently.

I agree. Yet another diktat from Brussels 'to save the planet', completely disregarding China's attitude to ecology!

Balls.

Nothing to do with the EU, we happily signed up to this and would have done without them, and I would agree with it.

I've installed 10/12w LEDs where it makes financial sense to do so. Warm white in every case, and they are great.

They're getting cheaper, and I expect them to improve in design in a year or two, so I'll probably get more when its worthwhile.

Have CFLs elsewhere, as again, it saves money.

There are plenty of incandescents on sale hereat many independent shops, so if I wanted them I can get them easily.

IIRC I read an article once that made the claim that the push for low energy light bulbs was because we're running low on tungsten.

£40 a year saved over a 100w incandecent bulb :D
so your choice really change 10 bulbs and have a holiday every year for nothing :cool:

Where do you holiday? I spent that on a barbeque last weekend and I'm poor and working class. :eek:

£40 a year saved over a 100w incandecent bulb :D

Where do you holiday? I spent that on a barbeque last weekend and I'm poor and working class. :eek:

10x£40= £400= butlins camping or end off season abroad :D ;)

any way the point is the savings can be far greater than some people think:cool:

Sponsored Links
Back