Bird identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody on here identify this bird. I have never seen one like this before and we get all sorts in our garden.
Pictures are not the best as I couldn't get any closer and had to use zoom.
He/she didn't have any mates and appeared to be waiting for the rain to stop
Thats why he/she looks a bit bedraggled.

Sponsored Links
Yep. Very scruffy one.

wood+pigeon+fluffed+up.JPG

Are you sure, we get loads round here but I have never seen one with a white breast like this one has.

Sponsored Links
yep a damp wood pigeon

Other similar looking bird id a Collar Dove. you have a wet and bedraggled Woodie.

Once My hens get wet in the rain they totally change shape from fluffy things to dark coloured rather poor looking creatures.

Its odd but if you see a Heron even in the wet it is as pristine as ever? just like ducks and Swans I suppose?

Poor old Woodie does not have enough oil in the feathers to withstand rain

That's a shame, I thought it was some exotic bird and I could have charged twitters some exorbitant sum for watching rights. ;) ;)

That's a shame, I thought it was some exotic bird and I could have charged twitters some exorbitant sum for watching rights. ;) ;)

I think they're called 'twitchers' for some obscure reason!

We have one in our garden, it still lives in the nest although eating in the garden and flying around.

Someone told me that a juvenile pigeon is very tasty just before they fledge, as their breasts are tender not having done any flying.

I do like a bit of roast pigeon, or pate made from the breasts, but didn't want to eat this one as it has been fascinating watching it hatch and grow. I'd like to see if it sticks around, or not.

I had a GoPro camera stuck to a branch so we could stream video to ipad/smartphone in the house, saw it being fed etc.

Sponsored Links
Back