Cheilectomy

Thanks except the deterioration is too bad now. Its a full bone fusing op.... nice! My dancing days are over :cry:

Sponsored Links
Decided against the surgery!! Post op recovery too onerous. So no further bleating from me.

I've got something similar.

I have to see a surgeon soon to discuss options.

My GP has discussed removing the bunion and fusing joints.

It's less of an issue with me, as I have mobility issues with that leg already and as for the toes, I cannot move them using brain power due to my Cerebral Palsy.

I have a right big toe that is misplaced to the right, with a huge bunion on it.

The second toe is riding up and over the big toe and is taking my weight when I walk on it.

The x-ray shows arthritic deterioration to the big toe (crumbling) and loss of joint space to the second toe.

Pain when walking is unbelievable. I take 1g paracetemol and 400mg Ibuprofen 3 times a day.

Tape is to hold second toe into position.

Eww!! Yuk.. feet aren't the nicest of things at the best of times but yours make mine look positively sexy!!

Sponsored Links
We could play tootsies under the table, but it would be painful to say the least... ;)

Here's a picture of my foot in June:

I have unfortunately struggled with the foot: it look months to heal (in fact, some incisions are still weeping) and I got a Staph. Aureus infection for which I had 6 oral courses of antibiotics and was hospitalised for several days for IV antibiotic treatment.

This is what it looked like in late August:

And with the pin brutally yanked out (no mercy) with a pair of pincers and no pain relief:

By this Monday just gone, the main incision was finally healing up, then I had to go back into Theatre to have it opened up again to check for signs of infection and to look at the fused bones in the big toe. The X-ray and CT scans were showing fusion had not taken place and the metal staple holding the bones together had become distorted.

So now I have 2 fresh incisions in my foot: where the surgeon has gone in to look at the big toe and another on my shin where he had to take a bone graft to construct a "toe" bone to replace the existing one.

When toe bones are fused, a little piece is sawn off the mating ends of the bones to encourage them to knit together, but this makes them shorter. Hence my big toe is shorter than my second.

To avoid the big toe becoming shorter still and causing issues with footwear, the surgeon used a new piece of bone.

So I am hobbling around again, hoping this will be it and I can look forward to getting fit again.

I wanted to do Hydratherapy, but the wounds were oozing due to the infection so my physio has been minimal.

Fingers crossed for Full Steam Ahead!

Not this fekking gross feet thread again. :mad:

Just about to sit down to me dinner.

Can't work out if that is the bottom or top of your foot! One of your toes seems to be upside down.

Diane, I'm disappointed... You really shouldn't encourage him!

;)

Can't work out if that is the bottom or top of your foot! One of your toes seems to be upside down.

Which one?

If the big toe, that's because I had the nail removed in 1979. The year isn't significant, just making the point it was a long time ago!!

All images of feet (in June or otherwise ;) ) are with the sole facing away from the camera.

Not this fekking gross feet thread again. :mad:

Just about to sit down to me dinner.

Not pig's trotters is it?

;)

Sponsored Links
Back