Driving in France

C

collisioni

Things to know. A day glow jacket must be carried up front. A red triangle a must. A breathalyzer kit. Travelling on Sundays brings the speed flic out. Tourist plates are easy targets, on the spot fines and no points for foreigners. I copped for 90 euros , stopped by a silver ford focus estate, filthy,5km more my licence would have been taken and I would not be able to drive. Get caught twice ,could lose car ,licence taken and a tasty fine that can top 3000 euro. Speed camera's [come in all shapes and sizes] are unenforceable when it comes to UK citizens . Favorite sites anywhere and I mean anywhere, exiting villages etc is a super sneaky affair ,the old story of police hiding behind bushes, you'd better believe it. Don't argue , period . Take the slap and like it. The French have the same kind of mentality as us when it comes to speeding and police, if a motorist flashes you slow down, bandits can be up the road and they have bins that can get your speed upto 1km. If you fail to have any of the things above you can be fined if stopped, in addition take ALL car paperwork and if you can allow for a fine. The real problem is time, travel thru France abiding by the speed limits it will take forever.

Sponsored Links
Didn't know French police was this sneaky!
Out of England I've only driven in Canada while I was there for 2 weeks and never had a problem. The other place is Hong Kong where I learnt to drive but never drove and again no issues at all.

Up to four mobile ( hand held ) radar traps spaced about 2 km apart along the road from Paris to Beauvais. Sneaky,. timed tickets on toll roads. sneaky

But if one obeys the rules when driving abroad then one has nothing to fear ( other than other drivers )

Did over a 2000km in France in a few days, never obeyed a speed limit, never got a ticket.You have to be alert, I always spot them before they spot me.

Sponsored Links
Several years ago, we drove from Calais to Provence (over two days) without any problems whatsoever. It was a long time ago, but I can't remember carrying all the essential items you need today. I don't think we drove particularly quickly and (to save money) we avoided all the toll motorways.

The best things about it were the empty roads and the simple but effective direction signs.

Drivers are not obliged to carry a spare set of lights, but if one of their bulbs goes and they do not have a replacement ready they can be fined.

Now my Renault Modus is a two hour workshop job to change a headlamp bulb, the whole front has to come off!

Toll booth timing is I'm assured to be a myth. Driving across on N and D roads as an alterative to Autoroutes is dependant on how long you have got. Any road that encounters any kind of buildings is going to slow you up 30km , cameras, speed calming devices of varying nuisance, caravans, lorries and French farmers soon take its toll and the clock keeps going. What looks as simple on a map aint so and working out an eta on mph is wishfull. Great country tho

Just back from France.two weeks.motoring.no hassle.no yellow lights no hi viz jacket nothing.motorways a delight.hardly a car insight in bits of Normandy.did France 20 years ago.bought spare bulbs.painted headlights.bought templates to divert headlight mainbeam.cost a fortune.scared to death by AA warnings.spent lots on UN needed bits.just gooooo

No breathalyser needed...

As was explained to me by the hire company who didn't supply any (and confirmed by the AA), its a typically french solution:

"You are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance."

So ignore the tw*ts at Halfords!

Toll booth timing is I'm assured to be a myth.
The first indication that it happened was the hotel manager at Dieppe who warned us about the matter before we set out for Germany. A friend who travels across France several times a year is convinced it happens based on experiences.

done it many times car and bike. I f it happened on motorways with bike I'd be in the bastille. As for everything else, take your chances, I learnt a lot this time.

Don't carry the breath kit. But we carry the rest just because it's useful (and safety-minded) if you breakdown.

Couple of rules that some don't know.

If you come across a breakdown or accident, you are required to stop to help. It is an offence not to.
Quote from Wikipedia: "Similarly, in France anyone who fails to render assistance to a person in danger will be found liable before French Courts (civil and criminal liability). The penalty for this offence in criminal courts is imprisonment and a fine (under article 223–6 of the Criminal Code) while in civil courts judges will order payment of pecuniary compensation to the victims."

When raining on the autoroute, speed limits automatically drop from 130 to 110.

Take care on some rural roads. Sometime, traffic joining the main road from the side has right of way!

Similarly, take care on roundabouts. Rules may have changed now, but at one time, if you were ON the roundabout, you had to give way to vehicles coming onto it.

You may still find this happening today! We did!

Did 1200 miles through France on a motorbike and didn't see one speed trap although one motorcycle cop did ride along side us and told us to slow down(100mph on the motorway ), very decent of him.

On the + side, you only get a fine so no points on your licence :evil:

Take care on some rural roads. Sometime, traffic joining the main road from the side has right of way!

Priiorty at a junction narrow line gives way
nN3C3ji.jpg

From now on traffic from right has priority, including driveways and car park exits
Vehicles+from+right+have+priority.jpg

That priority from right continues until you get to the same sign without the black stripe.

The people to look out for are british drivers who think they have priority because they are going straight ahead at the junction as you are turning onto the "main" road from their right.

1200 miles and no speed cameras, you prob went too fast or your eyes are not looking for different shapes. Loads about. I did 2400 miles short time ago and every summer go to or thru France, cameras everywhere. This year a marked increase in mobile speed devices, I saw loads and only once pinched. I also found out from an ex-pat whose property we stayed at, that from July to August teams operate a 'run into the back of' that is they see foreign plate and you run into the back of them

Sponsored Links
Back