eyesight.

E

EddieM

Well first off obviously I shall be going to the optician, but does anyone else have the following problem. Basically I am starting to get on a bit, and cannot focus on objects nearer than about 6 inches away, it is further with my glasses on, it's not normally much of a problem, but if I have to work in a confined space, i.e. close up, I am as good as blind! Anyone else experienced this annoyance?

Sponsored Links
Yes frequently :evil:

And as I get older the worse it gets. Find it a real bind when working on cars, especially underneath when there isn't much clearance. Also when working at a slight angle owing to the shape of the lens it all gets distorted. :mad:

The penalty of old age I guess :cry:

Yeah it's caused by stiffening of the lens it's called presbyopia, I just need to see if I can get some specs to overcome it, varifocals maybe.... I really cannot see a damned thing close up :evil:

Actually, I am gonna have to something about it, I was driving the other day, for which I legally have to wear specs, trouble is, that's fine, but then I can't see the dashboard clearly :eek:

Sigh, I'm starting to fall apart! :cry: Then again, shouldn't complain about getting older, some aren't afforded the luxury :(

Well, let's put my double vision and ocular migraine aside for a second.

With my standard specs, vision in my right eye is poor close up, especially small text. It's all blurry. But long distance vision is good.

So for close up use, I wear another pair which are fantastic for that, but give me really blurry vision long distance!

Sigh, I'm starting to fall apart! :cry:

I started in 2006 at the age of 39.... :(

Sponsored Links
but then I can't see the dashboard clearly :eek:(
I found that my driving glasses actually improved my reading of the dashboard, albeit only slightly. But it's a pain having to remember to keep taking those glasses with me whenever I drive a different car :mad:

Also find when working up close on anything I knock my glasses on something and then it all goes skewiff.

But like you say, lucky to be able to moan about it as many don't get this far (61 on Monday :D )

...does anyone else have the following problem. Basically I am starting to get on a bit, and cannot focus on objects nearer than about 6 inches away, it is further with my glasses on...

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the answer is just about everyone who is getting on a bit!

As you yourself stated, it is due to the lens being no longer able to change shape to accommodate focussing at different distances.

There are, however, several options as well as those already mentioned. When I wore contact lenses (for distance vision) I also wore 'half moon' reading glasses which made it convenient to look up for distance vision and look down for near vision. I now wear varifocals for the same reason, although bifocals are a cheaper alternative.

It is even possible to buy 'bifocal' contact lenses which do exactly the same: when looking straight ahead, you look through the centre (distance) part of the lens; when you look down, the lens rests on the lower eyelid and your vision is then through the outer part of the lens that is corrected for near vision. I'm sure your optician would be happy to take your money for a pair!

I understand that should your lenses ever 'cloud up' due to cataracts, it is now possible to replace the lenses with artificial ones that are sufficiently pliable to be deformed by your eye muscles for close vision, just as your more youthful (!) natural lenses were. I believe that they would have to be done privately, though, at great expense!

...does anyone else have the following problem. Basically I am starting to get on a bit, and cannot focus on objects nearer than about 6 inches away, it is further with my glasses on...

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the answer is just about everyone who is getting on a bit!

As you yourself stated, it is due to the lens being no longer able to change shape to accommodate focussing at different distances.

There are, however, several options as well as those already mentioned. When I wore contact lenses (for distance vision) I also wore 'half moon' reading glasses which made it convenient to look up for distance vision and look down for near vision. I now wear varifocals for the same reason, although bifocals are a cheaper alternative.

It is even possible to buy 'bifocal' contact lenses which do exactly the same: when looking straight ahead, you look through the centre (distance) part of the lens; when you look down, the lens rests on the lower eyelid and your vision is then through the outer part of the lens that is corrected for near vision. I'm sure your optician would be happy to take your money for a pair!

I understand that should your lenses ever 'cloud up' due to cataracts, it is now possible to replace the lenses with artificial ones that are sufficiently pliable to be deformed by your eye muscles for close vision, just as your more youthful (!) natural lenses were. I believe that they would have to be done privately, though, at great expense!

Fortunately my sister is an optician, so I'll just get 'em tested and send her the prescription. :D

Bit of an eye opener (groan) that my near sight has deteriorated so fast.

It drives me insane. Especially when I am trying to read instructions and do the job as well. I end up looking over the top of my glasses, or glasses on my head or glasses balancing on the end of my nose. Then back on, look at the diagram then off again.

I can see very close up without lenses but not distance. Reading a newspaper is good fun too, scan the headlines with my glasses on and paper at arms length then glasses off to read the story.

It drives me ****ing mad. That and the fact that my jeans constantly fall down. :evil:

It drives me insane. Especially when I am trying to read instructions and do the job as well. I end up looking over the top of my glasses, or glasses on my head or glasses balancing on the end of my nose. Then back on, look at the diagram then off again.

I can see very close up without lenses but not distance. Reading a newspaper is good fun too, scan the headlines with my glasses on and paper at arms length then glasses off to read the story.

I assume that you, like me, are short sighted. Without glasses I can see fine detail sharply in focus at two or three inches. I suppose that's one advantage of being short sighted.

It drives me ****ing mad. That and the fact that my jeans constantly fall down. :evil:

Yours must have stretched then. Mine seem to have shrunk in the wash.

Its probably because I always have a ton of screws, nails, fittings, tools and keys in my pockets :LOL:

Yes I can read really close- looks a bit strange sitting in a café though.

I have actually bought some of those bi-focal lenses but have only worn them once as they seemed a bit dry compared to my old standard lenses and there is still a compromise. Reading with them is not 100 pc but at least I can make some words out. With my standard lenses, which were excellent for distance, I couldn't read anything.

I wear vari-focals, very awkward when needing to peer through the top half of lens attempting to read, for example, a part number. Have flipped the glasses over with some success - guess my eyes, tho' both aged, are not so dissimilar.

-0-

Its probably because I always have a ton of screws, nails, fittings, tools and keys in my pockets :LOL:

You know the answer, then, don't you? Braces.

I've never understood why they ever went out of fashion.

Sponsored Links
Back