Feedback on PowerTool

Sponsored Links
Oh no you aren't. You are a marketeer looking for free info. :rolleyes:

Do you want us to evaluate that particular drill? I've never seen one like it but here goes!
It looks to be a tool very much for occasional light duty DIY use.
Epicyclic gearing systems aren't particularly good at handling high torque
A small tool like that needs a keyless chuck.
For the inexperienced, a clip on levelling device could be an asset
The apparent battery size indicates short duration of use
It may or may not stand up on its own

Oh hell......have I dropped a ****** again - just seen Joes post
:p
John :)

I think your design looks excellent, except that if it were in pink and turquoise rather than black and yellow it would have a much greater appeal to the female DIY market.

Sponsored Links
I think your design looks excellent, except that if it were in pink and turquoise rather than black and yellow it would have a much greater appeal to the female DIY market.

He'd have to design a very specific attachment in that case. Designed to be used on hammer action. :mrgreen:

The most annoying thing about all power tools is the storage case. I'm f*cked if I am gonna ponce around wrapping the cable into a certain shape so that the lid will close.

Maybe someone could consider designing a storage case with a bit more room inside.

I want a cordless drill with a reserve of power so that when I have walked up 4 flights of stairs and it dies making the first hole I can switch to that and drill a couple of holes without trekking back to the van again.

These new Lion batteries give no warning at all they just stop! At least with the old type you got a bit of warning and with a bit of effort you could finish the hole. :D

To be honest. it looks to be a lot bigger than necessary.
Surely there shouldn't be any empty space inside unless unavoidable.

What is the extra piece down from the chuck?
Won't that restrict access?

What is the extra bit in front of the handle for?

The rear is pointed unnecessarily making leaning on it uncomfortable.

In short it suggests that it has been designed by a person who has never actually used a battery drill.
And more specifically; pointed ends, pointless fancy bits, sliding surfaces that will fail once a bit of grit gets to work, "square" corners on the handles that do not comply with human hands, a front grip section that need to be at 90 degrees (either side for both right and left hand operators) with no fancy "curly bits", a battery compartment that cannot use current battery shapes so increasing costs, no reversing action, lack of access to the chuck mount for removal/replacement etc etc
Yes it is easy to criticise but you have to remember, he who designs a "better" mousetrap has to ensure it will actually catch mice

As suggested, look at the ergonomics , handle, pointy bit, centre of gravity.
Look at the language. Drop 'diverse' range. What about a light? Is the sliding mechanism 'unique' ? Or would it be better just to describe why it is good?

'Sophisicated ' 'created' ? Describe what is does.

If you can put anything in there without costing it ie pure design, why not mention long life of the quick charge battery (Google specs)

Look at other drill specs and see if you can take the best of these but add you own USP, which is at the moment more a striking 'set your phasers on stun' aesthetic design than what a drill is 'for'

Hard to come up with something new as the design parameters for drills tend to converge due to human hands being generally the same sort of design*.
They normally compete on price and performance, with brand a factor. Price also is complicated by ad dons, such as case etc.

But that goes beyond design although may support your project.

Edit - is colour scheme a deliberate mimicry for marketing, or would a different one be better?

*:)

Sponsored Links
Back