Firage v Clegg - EU Debate

I've been thinking about the concept of all MPs being independents, and I cannot see any apparent disadvantage to this. Having to 'toe the party line' effectively removes the opportunity for individual MPs - and each of us has one as a local representative - to push for what they consider beneficial for their own constituents.

I have said for a few years now that the party whip system needs to be abolished. All MP's of every party, should have free votes on all matters in the HoC. They should vote with the conviction of their conscience, not vote a particular way because their leader says so.

ellal wrote
No second jobs.
No job related to positions held for 10 years after exit from parliament.
No relatives or friends holding jobs related to an MP's role for the same periods.
A (higher) flat rate for the job and no expenses allowed.
No freebies allowed.
All official communications to be recorded and open to public scrutiny.

I'd just add to that, It's time they considered building a hostel in Central London (or converting a large building into one) for MP's in the provinces to use as a base when they need to be in London for parliamentary business. This would do away with the need for them to rent properties (think they are allowed to claim back rent paid, up to £1450 per month now, in the wake of the second home scandal) Wouldn't surprise me if some of them have "sold" their second homes to companies owned by themselves (or close relatives) and are now renting their own properties back to themselves, so they can continue claiming money for nothing. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
I'd just add to that, It's time they considered building a hostel in Central London (or converting a large building into one) for MP's in the provinces to use as a base when they need to be in London for parliamentary business. This would do away with the need for them to rent properties (think they are allowed to claim back rent paid, up to £1450 per month now, in the wake of the second home scandal) Wouldn't surprise me if some of them have "sold" their second homes to companies owned by themselves (or close relatives) and are now renting their own properties back to themselves, so they can continue claiming money for nothing. ;) ;)
Some are already 'renting' whilst keeping their existings homes.

And many are claiming for their political premises too.

However as for a 'hostel' - there are plenty of empty apartments at the Olympic park available!

I have said for a few years now that the party whip system needs to be abolished. All MP's of every party, should have free votes on all matters in the HoC. They should vote with the conviction of their conscience, not vote a particular way because their leader says so.

I agree with both points.

Surely, instead of voting publicly (I understand they are obliged to walk through either a 'yea' or 'nay' door) they could have secret voting by pressing a button or 'remote control'. This would save a lot of time too.

I don't know what proportion of time MPs spend in London or their (remote) constituencies, but state-provided accommodation in one or the other would certainly be a good idea, as many MPs apparently cannot be trusted to be honest.

Shouldn't be any secret voting JBR. All voting in parliament should be a free vote and the results published so us public can see just how our MP voted on issues that affect us. We will then be in a better position come the General Election, to judge the performance of the current one. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes AJ, but I do feel the party whip system is antiquated. Look at how many times in the past MP's have rebelled against their own party... If they had free votes on every issue, then I'm sure whoever was in power would perhaps take a more reasoned approach to new legislation. ;)

You only have to look at how my local stooge has voted. Still he has good reason to be grateful having failed to get elected twice elsewhere they gifted him the safe seat here :rolleyes:

Shouldn't be any secret voting JBR. All voting in parliament should be a free vote and the results published so us public can see just how our MP voted on issues that affect us. We will then be in a better position come the General Election, to judge the performance of the current one. ;) ;)

Yes, Jock. You make a good point.

I still think there should be a foolproof way of permitting MPs to vote as they feel, rather than how their party dictates. I'm not sure the best way to do this, though, apart from having every potential MP stand as an independent. But how would they be supported or nominated, then?

I think there are occasions when an MP doesn't even have to turn up to vote. A Tory MP can be 'partnered' with a Labour MP, so their votes would cancel each other out.

Sponsored Links
Back