how old is your boiler

My aunt and uncle had a boiler installed shortly after the end of the war (WWII) and it was still there and working in the early 1980's.
As others have said, what you gain in efficiency is easily lost in expensive repairs and replacements
Definitely true.

A condensing heat only boiler is easier and thus less costly to service and maintain than a combi-boiler, but just as efficient. ( provided the hot water tank is well insulated )

Sponsored Links
Mines a Concord WRS 40 ( I think Ideal make), which now is about forty years old. Only ever had to replace a thermocouple but I do not use it conventionally, but then again, I don't have television, so that paints a picture.

Mines a Concord WRS 40 ( I think Ideal make), which now is about forty years old. Only ever had to replace a thermocouple but I do not use it conventionally, but then again, I don't have television, so that paints a picture.

I have a customer with one of these. Think it's only had a thermocouple or two in 35 years. Parts still available. Brilliant boiler from when Ideal had a good name.

I installed my Ideal Mexico RS65 when I built my home in 1986. Pre existing regulations. Only trouble was fairly regular thermocouple failures in the first few years. Solved by adjusting the flame deflector beside the thermocouple so that it wasn't continuously roasting the tip and melting the casing. Last one lasted 20+ years, only failing just after new year. I was thinking the boiler is on borrowed time, especially the cast iron heat exchanger, but maybe not, after reading through this post.
Who is Cumbernauld's resident forum expert?

Sponsored Links
Just replaced a 35-year-old Ideal floor-mounted boiler for a combi. Apart from using twice the gas the new one does, it was still working when it was removed.

Baxi Solo 2. Still run since 1998 so 17 years old. Still strong as ever. Only part is fan, that's it.

Daniel.

WB 24CDi. 17 years old although it's a bit like Triggers broom. New fan, plate HE, gas valve, circuit board, AAV, expansion vessel. I'm sure there's bits I've missed. Will have to change it one day, just can't decide on a location for it.

The best car I've owned was a Fiat 131 Sport, I've had a Laverda, Ducati and now have an Aprilia so needless to say I have Biasi Boilers, the first one was just over 10yrs old and I spent about £100 on diaphragms and a switch I broke, when I moved it I replaced it with an A rated 32 thingamajig, kw?? It's now about 4yrs old with no problems and costs about £400.

Just replaced a 35-year-old Ideal floor-mounted boiler for a combi. Apart from using twice the gas the new one does, it was still working when it was removed.

That's bloody amazing! A boiler that runs on fresh air!

Can I have it?

I have a 36 year old Baxi Bermuda. and have had no problems with it. Until I read these post's I was running with the idea that I should replace it on grounds of age. Seems it could run a lot longer yet and still not involve me in great expense.

So thanks to all who posted. I am keeping it!

I have a 36 year old Baxi Bermuda. and have had no problems with it. Until I read these post's I was running with the idea that I should replace it on grounds of age. Seems it could run a lot longer yet and still not involve me in great expense.

So thanks to all who posted. I am keeping it!

Many back boilers have quite long lives. Most important thing is a service every year or two. More of a clean out than anything, but keeps them alive. Not unusual to see BBs from early 70s still going, like the Vulcan Verona. Built to last in those days.

Sponsored Links
Back