Instead of locking threads,, just ban Rogue Hanger the troll

Sponsored Links
Why ban?

People can ignore him, or (here's a novel thought) learn how to argue properly.
:D

Somebody asked for it to be locked. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
That's a first ;)

Love joe's little trick - he's the mod who locks the thread and then has a pop at whoever asked :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

Here we go again. EDL/BNP/KKK followers can't support their biases with reasoned argument so they call for those who oppose their views to be banned. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It suggests that you think it's your ball and you'll decide who you want to play with it. Stop being petulant.
Either support your opinions with sound diuscussion or make it obvious to the reader that your comments are your views entirely and probably have no foundation in truth, or at least you've not bothered to check.

Must admit, the discussion on that thread had degraded to a tedious and abusive bicker. No arguments were being purported in a constructive way from anyone, yourself included Rogue. Even your opening gambit on here is emotive and desultory. So why not start your own thread, state your case without abuse, and see where it goes from there? That's the normal way of doing things, surely? :confused:

Even your opening gambit on here is emotive and desultory.
I'm well aware of that, Dex.
What would have been your opening statment on a thread that calls for your exclusion? One of many, I would add, and fom a bunch of posters that typically display certain tendencies.

One can understand your ire, obviously. However, you do come across as somewhat, ahem, "robust", and aren't exactly frightened of throwing a few stones yourself.

It is a pity, since your post on the locked thread explaining the situation regarding headgear in France was something I was unaware of (thanks), and it is a shame that it was hidden in an epistolet of attack ;)

Not sure what the solution is.

Not sure what the solution is.
I am aware of my robust approach to the forum, Dex, and I don't mind being reminded of it. Following the typical abuse that ends up coming my way, I think it's justified.
I hope that I'm not the first to employ abusive tactics and that it is only a response to perceived abusive comments against me, albeit, the previous abusive posts may have occurred in previous threads.

Sometimes, in the early days I tried to maintain a sense of propriety, but alas, the 'culture' of the forum has rubbed off on me. Or I've responded like-for-like.

The solution for me is simple. When the 'ist motivated comments stop, or are deleted, so will I, I suspect, because I don't participate in much of the other stuff anymore. Although I might maintain a watching brief, willing to enter the fray again, if I think it is warranted.

I recognise the poblem of mods not being able to censor all the posts.
There is a couple of potential solutions, some may already have been considered, or are in consideration, or are unworkable:

1. When a poster has accumulated a certain amount of 'ist posts, they are warned/expelled (GD forum or site) or receive some sort of penalty/suspension. It does annoy me that some posters are allowed to continue their 'ist abusive posts without restraint. BTW, I would not exclude you from that 'grouping', but I would have expected you to know better. I do note that you have desisted from any potentially offensive posts recently.

2. Similar to thanks, except without the members name being being divulged, comments are flagged if they've been reported. I doubt if Mods delete all reported posts, and probably none of the unreported posts, but at least it will alert the readers of which posts have 'offended' someone. It might even lead to more posts being reported. Then after a certain number of 'reports' the post is deleted even if Mods fail to appreciate that it is offensive. (I suspect most of my posts will end up deleted because the Famous Five will all report all of my posts. Not that I'm suggesting that there is five of them. It's just a phrase.)

At the end of the day, (or at the beginning of my involvement with DIY) I recognise the value of the site to DIYers of all denominations.
I just think that it's such a shame that there are some posters who exploit the freedom of a site such as this to ferment their biased opinions.

I accept that sometimes one can forget that one is not in a physical 'building site' and that typical banter will ensue. But this is not a physical environment and the banter is available to all and sundry. Moreover, it's very nature of being 'social media' based means that the comments are anonymous, which probaly gives the poster the security to make even more offensive comments than they dare to in a physical environment.

Additionally, some of those biased posters provide little support to other areas of the site. I accept that I have become one of those that do not contribute to other forums anymore. I recognise that there are more skilled and experience posters to provide the advice.

1. When a poster has accumulated a certain amount of 'ist posts, they are warned/expelled (GD forum or site) or receive some sort of penalty/suspension. It does annoy me that some posters are allowed to continue their 'ist abusive posts without restraint. BTW, I would not exclude you from that 'grouping', but I would have expected you to know better. I do note that you have desisted from any potentially offensive posts recently.
Point made and taken. On the whole, I no longer post when drunk and when on occasion I've had a few glasses of plonk, I avoid the "heavy" discussion in any case.

Point made and taken.
:) I appreciate your candour, Dex.

Fortunately, (or not) my hobby means that I'm away from the pc most evenings and when I am available to participate I much prefer to read or watch interesting TV, if it's available.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to enjoy much of a tipple when I'm engrossed in my hobby, it affects my abilities. :eek: So I only partake a couple of evenings each week, not including the odd social or lunchtime tipple. And there's many of them here. Whenever one visits a neighbour or friend one can rely on some offering of one sort or another. But pastis is the favorite around here, with a little water, of course.

I think whiskey is a close second favourite. Most of the females tend to abstain from alcohol or limit themselves to a couple of glasses of spritzer, usually white wine and an alcholic liqueur like strawberry or peach. I don't understand why. In fact, I would guess that there are far more TTers (Males and females) in France, than UK, despite vino (and other drinks) being freely available and much cheaper than UK.

When I do enjoy a leisurely drink in the evenings a bottle of vino is only just over 2 euros but I usually buy a 10 litre box for about 22 euros. Any bottles I buy are purely for laying down, which is another local custom round here, and how do I envy some of the neighbours' caves.

Incidentally, how was your recent trip?

When I do enjoy a leisurely drink in the evenings a bottle of vino is only just over 2 euros but I usually buy a 10 litre box for about 22 euros.
Grr. I live in the wrong country.

Incidentally, how was your recent trip?
Very enjoyable, thanks. We struck lucky with the weather apart from the Eurodisney trip (mind you I was happy to spend most of the day under cover at the delegated meeting point :) ). We were booked into going up some skyscraper on one day, but there was some march/demonstration about something which prevented this from happeneing and forced us to have a wander around the louvre, which IMHO was a nicer thing to do, bar the usual street vendors pestering us. :)

Sponsored Links
Back