Lunacy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am making a few speculative bids for a kindle paperwhite on the offchance of a bargain. It is somewhat bemusing to see some "buy it now"s where the price of doing so is in excess of the cost of a new machine directly from amazon (which will include free delivery and full warranty). Have seen this sort of behaviour before on other items.

Please could someone explain the logic of buying something at more than the actual sale price? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Am making a few speculative bids for a kindle paperwhite on the offchance of a bargain. It is somewhat bemusing to see some "buy it now"s where the price of doing so is in excess of the cost of a new machine directly from amazon (which will include free delivery and full warranty). Have seen this sort of behaviour before on other items.

Please could someone explain the logic of buying something at more than the actual sale price? :confused:

They do that because they know idiots are fooled by such advertising gimmicks and will buy them without thinking!

(I'd like to suggest that you consider a smart phone instead. Apart from all the other uses, they also do what a Kindle does.)

Was wondering wot he was on about.
Thought it was something to do with starting a fire. :LOL:

They do that because they know idiots are fooled by such advertising gimmicks and will buy them without thinking!

(I'd like to suggest that you consider a smart phone instead. Apart from all the other uses, they also do what a Kindle does.)

I would strongly disagree with this. the advantages of a kindle are firstly it lasts about a month on one charge. secondly it can be read in bright sunlight and thirdly it allows you to read a book in peace without unwanted distractions.

Sponsored Links
It's been like that ever since EBay was a curious new site on the corner of the internet. People see 'auction' and think 'bargain'.
I've seen stuff sell second hand for more than it can be bought new.

I would strongly disagree with this. the advantages of a kindle are firstly it lasts about a month on one charge. secondly it can be read in bright sunlight and thirdly it allows you to read a book in peace without unwanted distractions.

With respect, I think you are wrong. Granted, my phone needs recharging every other day, but that's no big deal. I can read stories on my phone in bright sunlight, and I can turn off the ringer/vibrate if I don't want disturbing.

One concession that I will admit to, though: the screen is only five inches diagonally (whereas I understand Kindles are bigger), but despite this I find it perfectly easy to read text.

Of course, the converse is that you can't slip a Kindle into your top pocket!

You can't beat the feel of a REAL book.

Books are for reading.
Phones are for making telephone calls.
Computers are for doing other things.

You take a load of books on holiday? :confused:

I go to enjoy myself and do something out of the ordinary.

It's been like that ever since EBay was a curious new site on the corner of the internet. People see 'auction' and think 'bargain'.
I've seen stuff sell second hand for more than it can be bought new.
Indeed ! and Im back in auction mode tomorrow :D stupidest bid I saw there was £120 for an electric fake log fire basket :eek: Canny est bid was £100 for a vintage loudspeaker that went onto eBay and sold for ....£1600 :LOL: .

I can see some kind of logic in not wanting to be beaten in an auction and thus paying over the odds. It's when the buy-it-now or opening-bid price is excessive that one wonders what sort of twit bids into this??

Bought 'er indoors a Kindle White for her birthday......I've never known any item give me such peace :p
Enormous memory, quick charge that lasts for ages and yep, can be read in all degrees of light.
John :D

Count me as another vote in favor of a Kindle. I bought a Kindle HD 7" this past holiday season after spending a year reading on my smartphone's Kindle app. I'll take the Kindle unit over the phone any day of the week! No, it doesn't fit in a pocket, but a nice case for it makes it easy to grab and go. I almost have that thing filled up with ebooks already, though.

Yes, I read a great deal. :D

Sponsored Links
Back