Maverick...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"...Riverboat ring your bell, fare thee well Annabelle..."

RIP Jimmy Garner, Mr Smooth, brother Bret.

-0-

Sponsored Links
Sad to hear. RIP.

Always watched The Rockford Files and wanted a Pontiac Firebird like his.

I hated the Rockford files, the acting was terrible.
It was a poor mans Kojak.

Sponsored Links

Liked his Telephone answering machine though, that was high tech,

no one had telephone answering machines in those days, if they did they were illegal.

Liked his Telephone answering machine though, that was high tech,

no one had telephone answering machines in those days, if they did they were illegal.

Yeah, hi-tech answerphone used three times every episode, in a two bob caravan.

That's a shame.....quite liked jimmy.

I see Johnny Winter has also died last week....RIP to him too....fantastic blues man. :(

Ahh c'mon the acting may have been a bit on the wooden side, the plots paper thin and predicable, the fight scenes a bit laughable, but he drove a gold firebird and lived in a trailer by the pacific coast, what's not to like!

Ahh c'mon the acting may have been a bit on the wooden side, the plots paper thin and predicable, the fight scenes a bit laughable, but he drove a gold firebird and lived in a trailer by the pacific coast, what's not to like!

The Rockford Files was still better than Petrocelli, and Garner's Firebird was definitely cooler than Petro's battered pickup. Seem to remember he was always building a house that never got any further than first 3 courses. He did for self-build what Kojak did for office interior design. :LOL:

There were some other great US cop/PI shows around at the time. Streets of San Francisco was one of the best. Also Cannon and doing his bit for disability equality was Raymond Burr in Ironside.

Have to admit that Kojak was about the best US cop show - sort of like an American Sweeney. They both had the winning combination great actors, bit of action but most of all some humour.

Also remember that Garner was in The Great Escape.

All these youngsters who can't remember Maverick - the original.

As for police series -

Anyone remember 87th Precinct and,
of course, The Untouchables?

Haven't a clue what they're all talking about!

Remind me. Was it the 80s or 90s that Yorkshire finally got TV? ;)

Don't worry, you'll be getting colour before long. ;) ;)

BBC - not sure, but early 1950s (before the Bristol area)
ITV - 1955 (before the Bristol area)
Colour TV - 1969 (before the Bristol area)

I still don't know what they're talking about, but I gather it might be something to do with cowboys and indians.

Sponsored Links
Back