Reparations for slavery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
It was the industrial revolution which ended slavery machines were cheaper than slaves, virtual slavery still exists in parts of the non industrialised third world.

Should be pay reparations for slavery?

Why? To whom would we pay them?

This was over a couple of centuries ago. What else has been done in the intervening years that we should be apologising for?

Sponsored Links
It seems like just another of those self-flagellating guilt trips that we in the developed world believe we have to go through periodically.

As above, why should we pay for something we weren't involved in? And what rights have the descendants of the slaves to any money?

My grandfather was traumatized in WW1; can I have some money, please?

what they where reffering to was mainly how it effects present generations rather than in the past
and not really about the money more about helping them to move on after working it through

what they where reffering to was mainly how it effects present generations rather than in the past
and not really about the money more about helping them to move on

Great. That's the sort of reparations I'm all in favour of.

Helping the descendants to 'move on'. But only if that means moving them back to their homeland.

They still won't be satisfied, but at least they'll be too far away to hear their bleeting.

I'm all in favour of these reparations. ;)

Seems the chips on the shoulders are still there.

Chips? Bloody great big logs, from what I see and hear.

If I felt that others see me as being inferior I'd do something to disillusion them of it, not bleat on about how unfairly I'm being treated.

I watched the program in disbelief. Stupid woman bleating about things that happened hundreds of years ago to people she has never met. I think I need help getting over what the Romans did to my ancestors, FFS.

I watched the program in disbelief. Stupid woman bleating about things that happened hundreds of years ago to people she has never met. I think I need help getting over what the Romans did to my ancestors, FFS.

what about the 'vikings' who invaded,raped and pillaged there way through.

I have a friend who is black, she's told me her husband and friends used to get together to bemoan the history of slavery.

She told me she used to leave the room because what was the point in dragging it up as you cant change the past and it can disturb you peace of mind.

Slavery was barbaric no question, but what's forgotton is how the African west coast chiefs used to send their warriors inland to catch their fellow blacks to sell to the slave traders.
Blacks catching blacks to sell to the whites. thats a fact thats forgotten.

And belatedly true but it was the royal navy that chased the traders on the high seas and gallantly fought them to free slaves.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Navy-Versus-Slave-Traders/dp/1844156338

A superb book !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Black_Joke_(1827)
HMS Black Joke what a ship and crew, like david taking on goliath
guts determination and tenacity.
The book make great reading.

Should we sue the arabs as they used to raid englands south coast to capture slaves to sell back in arabia..............not a lot of people are aware of that.

Unfortunately slavery is alive and well in many parts of the world today and some newspaper reports show its happening here today.
Mans inhumanity to man very much occuring still.

You call slavery inhumane, yet it is condoned in the bible by god himself. Hypocrite much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back