So who noticed the strikes yesterday?

Sponsored Links
action-smiley-022.gif

Sponsored Links
I certainly wouldn't notice if a council worker was on strike but I would if my house was on fire and there was no fire service.

When the fire service go on strike, they are still manning their stations and would still react for any serious incidents involving risk to life.

Indeed. That's why I would always support any action that firefighters take.

My school closed down on the day apart from one year group who were taught pretty much as normal. I reckon that out of a hundred or so staff, about 8 were off on strike which pretty much matches the number absent on a daily basis anyway for a variety of reasons.

The rest of us taught the classes that were available or managed to do an amazing amount of tidying up and preparation for next term which would not have been possible had pupils been in. It was a very useful experience indeed. It even allowed me to make an early escape at 5pm instead of my usual 6pm.

The sad bit is that for every one dubious situation, there are hundreds of good ones. But where do you want to focus on? Of course, the tiny number of poor examples from which you want to extrapolate that all situations are bad.

It's as bonkers as saying that because collisioni is allegedly from Birmingham, so it follows that all brummies are morons :rolleyes:

And your point is? Actual, factual examples are disregarded, against hypothetical but numerous examples of sterling effort?
If the boot was on the other foot, would you give more credence to something actually experienced, our something thought to "probably go on"?

And your point is? Actual, factual examples are disregarded, against hypothetical but numerous examples of sterling effort?
If the boot was on the other foot, would you give more credence to something actually experienced, our something thought to "probably go on"?
My point is that on a day to day basis, the vast majority of cases are handled quickly and efficiently but are never referred to. Instead, the tiny number of poor or slow anecdotal situations are cited and claimed to be the norm.

For example, in my job there have been a tiny, tiny number of kiddie fiddlers. I reckon that of the approx 400 teachers I have met over the last quarter of a century, I can recall about 8 who have had relationships with pupils (all at least 16 years old but the crime refers to breach of "position of trust"). From that hard fact information am I supposed to therefore extrapolate that all, or the majority of, teachers are paedophiles? :confused: Because that's the logic that you lot are following on here.

Sponsored Links
Back