Speeding ticket!

Just out of interest John. My friend did something you can try for yourself if it helps. He went on to an insurance site, (e-bike & e-car), where you can submit a quote with and without a speeding offence. It made absolutely no difference, (presumably), because even insurance companies know it's bu¦¦s**t.

If it's for running a red light however or overtaking on double white lines your quote will double!!!

You see, they understand the difference between a technical infringement and really dangerous driving. Sadly, not all police or the Law recognise the difference between these two scenarios...

I would expect you to be offered a SA course. They, in turn, will expect you to nod and agree with everything like a performing monkey or you can fail. So I hope you’re good at biting your tongue.

They have two weeks to serve you with a NIP unless you’re stopped at the time. Good luck...

I did just that, i told the insurance bod on the other end i had an 3 points for an SP30, he said 'ah don't worry about it everyones got them', made £10 difference to the annaul premium.

The brother in law ia a sergent and he says its the drink driving and the no insurance points that insurance companies really sting you for

Sponsored Links
Ah, right. It probably differs between different insurers. I think it was Swinton that first talked common sense on this matter.

The friend I mentioned did it about four years ago. It was on a motorbike with e-bike. The first SP30 made no difference and he tried a second speeding endorsement which cost an extra £30 a year on top.

So it's plain to see that it's both wrong the way it's enforced and a low risk compared to other violations.

It's important, for me, to say I am not, and do not, countenance inappropriate speed for the circumstances; which includes not speeding but too fast for the environment and situation.

Let's not forget though, speeding is optional.
Yes, it's a limit not a target.

It's perfectly legal and safer to do 10mph around by me. BRAKE philosophy.

For God's sake think of the children!!!

Oh 'ang on... There are no children, the school is closed, and the road is clear, (No parked cars, junctions and it's daylight). I'm also sober, drug-free and my eyesight is 20/20.

Oh well, that dumb sign must know more than me and although I haven't had an accident, claim or near miss which was anything to do with me in 30+ years, I think that sign knows better and must have been set by people who absolutely have no hidden, ignorant or per$onal agenda...

Sponsored Links
My first wife got caught doing 36 in a 30 zone in 2010 and received 3 points and a £70 fine.

Then the next year she was done for travelling at 55 in a 50 zone. This time she was offered a course (with no points) but that cost almost as much as a fine, at £65.

She (and I, for that matter) was livid as in both cases the roads were empty and the speeds could hardly be described as dangerous.

She was even more annoyed because I have never had a speeding ticket and I speed (slightly) all the time. I think the important thing is to keep a weather eye out for cameras, although these mobile ones in unmarked vehicles is definitely sneaky.

Strange how both options include shelling out. No option for points and free course. All about the money rather than education.

Let's not forget though, speeding is optional.
Yes, it's a limit not a target.

It's perfectly legal and safer to do 10mph around by me. BRAKE philosophy.

For God's sake think of the children!!!

Oh 'ang on... There are no children, the school is closed, and the road is clear, (No parked cars, junctions and it's daylight). I'm also sober, drug-free and my eyesight is 20/20.

Oh well, that dumb sign must know more than me and although I haven't had an accident, claim or near miss which was anything to do with me in 30+ years, I think that sign knows better and must have been set by people who absolutely have no hidden, ignorant or per$onal agenda...
You seem to have a problem doing the speed limit?

I just listen to the tone of my engine and plod along.

Good job you don't own a muscle car then. You'd be speeding. :eek: (Because of course he doesn't and has never).
The tone of a muscle car engine stays the same as any other engine. As the pitch rises so does your speed.

Once you hit around 30mph just keep the pitch of the engine noise constant.

Are you grasping at excuses to break the speed limit Tone?

Good job you don't own a muscle car then. You'd be speeding. :eek: (Because of course he doesn't and has never).
The tone of a muscle car engine stays the same as any other engine. As the pitch rises so does your speed.

Once you hit around 30mph just keep the pitch of the engine noise constant.

Are you grasping at excuses to break the speed limit Tone?
Que @ Noseall.

A road has a NSL on a single carriageway = 60mph.

You use, have been using, that road up to and at that limit for as long as you can remember.

It's become a 40 limit overnight now. We're you driving dangerously the last time you went down it at over 40 mph or has it just become a legal issue - or both? :evil:

The 10 + 2 guideline is not a rumour. More often than not you will find that forces do use it.

This is so that they can demonstrate that you have comprehensively broken the speed limit, not just gone a fraction over, so that they can eliminate that element of extenuating circumstances.

I personally feel that those forces insisting on prosecuting drivers under the 10 + 2 guideline should be challenged every single time in court, but as we all know, that will never happen and even if it does there are not enough fair-headed judges in the land to agree that it is unfair to push for prosecution at (for example) 34mph in a 30mph zone.

The 10 + 2 guideline is not a rumour. More often than not you will find that forces do use it.

This is so that they can demonstrate that you have comprehensively broken the speed limit, not just gone a fraction over, so that they can eliminate that element of extenuating circumstances.

I personally feel that those forces insisting on prosecuting drivers under the 10 + 2 guideline should be challenged every single time in court, but as we all know, that will never happen and even if it does there are not enough fair-headed judges in the land to agree that it is unfair to push for prosecution at (for example) 34mph in a 30mph zone.

I shall ask brother in law what they do in Derbyshire, he used to be traffic bod

Since our enviro-tw@ mayor (he with the red trousers :rolleyes: ) introduced a 20mph limit in certain areas, we now have to in Bristol. Because it's not all areas, you can literally drive down one road at 30, turn into another road that's 20, then round the corner back to 30. Everyone ignores it anyway. :cool:

Yes, I've heard about him.

I'm surprised that people haven't voted him out of office by now. When's the next local election? :mad:

His name's George Ferguson and seems to want everyone in Bristol to ride a bike as he does. :rolleyes: Mind you, he's a multi-milionaire, so has all day to dawdle on his push bike. Being a mayor is his hobby.

The next election is May 2016, unless Fergie has 'accidentally' 'strayed' under the wheels of an artic before then. :evil:

I'm sure Bristolians live in hope!

34 in a 30 limit.....parked up camera van, no excuses, first offence.
Whats the likely punishment - £60 fine and 3 points, or would I qualify for a speed awareness course with an increased fine?
John :)
Bugger it. Just got home after a rather enjoyable week in Norfolk (Wells next the Sea) and found a fine on doormat - 36 in 30 zone near Drayton. Genuine oversight. Hope I can get to go on course up here and at least avoid the points. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back