Speeding ticket!

We're you the driver though or, cough, someone else... ;)

My friends, (quite an old couple), had that situation coming back from Wales and genuinely didn't know as they share the driving.

They, the prosecutors, couldn't care less so long as they get their pound of flesh.

Was the offence within 2 weeks ago Dext?

Sponsored Links
Ah bummer!

I've had to play the waiting game on occasion but, (more luck than anything), didn't get done.

Bet it was on a stretch of road where they get maximum bang for their buck and it's safe to go a bit quicker, instead of a cramped small road where nutters razz down past parked cars etc.

That's how they operate, sadly...£££

Ultimately it's my own fault. Would like to naively think that once the national database is checked, my record over the last decade or so is clear and they'll let me off with a warning. Somehow, I doubt that that's the way it works :cry:

Sponsored Links
To be honest, three points on my licence wouldn't bother me were it not for the fact that the insurance company ups the premiums. Well they did for my first wife, anyway.

When i was with "Admiral" insurance they still wanted details of my speed awareness course, presumably to load up my premium.
I thought if i hadnt declared it, it may have affeected any future claims

Make no mistake, insurance companies will use everything they can against you.

I was involved in an accident that was completely not my fault. Yet my insurance company loaded my premium the next year because "the very fact I was there and involved in the accident made me an increased risk".

Give me strength.

I don't get this 'premium goes up' thing guys.

Yes, either nothing or a bit. But not a big deal. The bigger deal is the fine, not any insurance hike. But I stand to be corrected.

Time to tell mine I got an SP30 perhaps and see what they say. But let's see what happens in the real world.

Please keep us here posted as real feedback if you would guys.

Best wishes all.

Tone

Make no mistake, insurance companies will use everything they can against you.

I was involved in an accident that was completely not my fault. Yet my insurance company loaded my premium the next year because "the very fact I was there and involved in the accident made me an increased risk".

Give me strength.
Soz Securespark. My post submitted just after yours.

Yes, that happens too, because they're greedy like all businesses and if they can think of a reason or excuse to load your premium they will.

But even they are running out of excuses for loading drivers when so many good ones have speeding convictions....

On a slightly different but on similar subject....

I have on two occasions fell, been dupped, for the Direct insurance company which boasts "you won't find us on price comparison sites so we pass the savings onto you".

What complete and utter 80ll0cks!!!

I took them up on that challenge years ago when I had the most impeccable record and driving history in my 50s.

It was a $ h1t quote!!! So I went elsewhere on a price comparison Web site.

Never trusted or been back to Direct since, although one or two have said it suited them.

But don't 8ullsh1t me with a line when what you tell me is nothing more than a lie. You weren't the best or cheapest and I have never tried you since...

Excuse the miftness but when someone or some company says an untruth it bothers me.

Let's not forget though, speeding is optional.
Yes, it's a limit not a target.

It's perfectly legal and safer to do 10mph around by me. BRAKE philosophy.

For God's sake think of the children!!!

Oh 'ang on... There are no children, the school is closed, and the road is clear, (No parked cars, junctions and it's daylight). I'm also sober, drug-free and my eyesight is 20/20.

While not strictly illegal in its own right, driving too slowly for the prevailing conditions can attract prosecution for careless (or even dangerous) driving.
One of my pet hates is the (usually geriatric) gentlemen who maintain a steady 40 on a clear but not-arrow-straight B road (so you can't safely overtake). They then maintain that steady 40 (and open up a gap on you) through the next village, past the village shop, the parked cars, the people going about their business..... You then are stuck behind the b#ggers less than 200 yds through the NSL sign again, as they're still only doing 40.

I've had a couple of speeding tickets, in the UK, the first at 39 in a 30 limit. I genuinely thought it was a 40 limit, one of those dual carriageways that confusingly change the limit for no apparent reason, at some inexplicable point along the road. Fine and points, no choice. Fixed camera, but my confusion about the limit meant that I paid it no attention. I even went back to the scene of the crime and walked it with my camera 'cos I was sure I was right. I then noticed that there was only one sign which had been obscured by several buses in the inside lane. I had been in the outside lane. Ticket, fine and points still applied. (Additional signs had been placed, last time I looked.) BT may be aware of the location, North Birmingham, off the M6 towards Birmingham. As you exit the M6 there is a 30 sign top of slip lane. Then round the island towards Birmingham that 30 continues to be applied upto the lights, even though the road has a 40 limit after the lights. In hindsight and better awareness on my part, street lights means 30 unless signed otherwise, so signage would be superfluous.

The second was for 39 in a 30 limit, no confusion this time, just a little lack of attention on my part, slowing down from 50 in a 50 limit and caught by a mobile camera. Offered a SPA course.

The difference was the county in which I was caught. On the course it was explained that some counties apply different rules about who/when to offer the course.

When i was with "Admiral" insurance they still wanted details of my speed awareness course, presumably to load up my premium.
I thought if i hadnt declared it, it may have affeected any future claims

I did one of these recently, and the advice issues to us by the chap running the course is:

You have to tell the truth about speeding points and/or the awareness course, but then you remind the operator that now you're one of a number of drivers on the road who have now had additional safety tuition since passing your test - everyone else out there doesn't have this additional coaching, and as such it makes you a safer driver. You expect no penalty at the very least, possibly even a discount. If they put the price up you MUST NOT buy the policy, voting with your cash is the only voice you have.

Nozzle

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Yes RH. I've been up & down there more times I've had hot dinners. They've fannied around with the limits down to absurd levels. No one pays attention to them, not even traffic police I've followed.

Driving in France is beautiful! The constant toll stops got on my nerves at anything between about €2 to €20 but the roads are immaculate. Next time I'm over, later this year, you can buy me a drink. :D

Sponsored Links
Back