Sunshine, heat and lightning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems this past week that we have never seen thunderstorms and experienced heat waves. The news coverage was way over the top and sparked the usual skin cancer scares. I seem to recall that back in my childhood just post WW2 we had heat waves such that the tar melted on the roads and eggs were cooked on the pavement. Thunderstorms were common as was sunshine, we spent our entire school holidays in the summer outside in the sun and I do not recall any problem with skin cancer. (possibly because we spent lots of time outdoors then so our skin was conditioned). It does make me wonder that skin cancer could be caused by the sun protection creams rather than the sun itself, and many children now suffer with vitamin D deficiency due to lack of sunshine.

Sponsored Links
INDEPENDENT THOUGHT ALERT.

Yes you are correct about the past but the news media always sensationalise everything.

I am never sure whether it is a plot or they are all simple.
I hate, hate, hate how reporters put themselves in a situation and inanely wave their arms around and talk in news-speak instead of normally.

On the subject of the sun if what they say is true, i have always wondered why lorry, van and taxi drivers don't all get skin cancer of the right forearm or everyone on the face and hands.
I think you are probably right about being used to it.
I remember being covered in calamine lotion as a child after a day at the beach.

INDEPENDENT THOUGHT ALERT.

Yes you are correct about the past but the news media always sensationalise everything.

I am never sure whether it is a plot or they are all simple.
I hate, hate, hate how reporters put themselves in a situation and inanely wave their arms around and talk in news-speak instead of normally.

On the subject of the sun if what they say is true, i have always wondered why lorry, van and taxi drivers don't all get skin cancer of the right forearm or everyone on the face and hands.
I think you are probably right about being used to it.
I remember being covered in calamine lotion as a child after a day at the beach.

Further to the waving of the arms, one thing that always winds me up is the nodding interviewer. Watch any interview on tv and there is always a bit where the interviewer nods without saying anything.

So the interviewee is saying their bit, then 'Cut!'

'Can we now have two seconds of you nodding'

'Cut'

Thank you now back to the interview.

I can remember the days when sunbathers were applying cooking oil to help their tan along.

I enjoyed the storms though.

Further to the waving of the arms, one thing that always winds me up is the nodding interviewer. Watch any interview on tv and there is always a bit where the interviewer nods without saying anything.

So the interviewee is saying their bit, then 'Cut!'

'Can we now have two seconds of you nodding'

'Cut'

Thank you now back to the interview.

This is perfectly correct. I remember seeing a documentary about... well... making documentaries (!) and the interviewers are taught to do this in the belief it will encourage the interviewee to keep talking and, yes, they often add the 'nodding donkey' bit in afterwards if they only have one camera!

Sponsored Links
It's all about the ozone layer isn't it?
Back in the good old days, people didn't use deodorants, and flypaper or a swat would be used to deal with little pests. Cream came from a cow, not an aerosol, and paint came in a paint tin.

Life was good, although everyone stank and had flies round their arses :LOL:

It's all about the ozone layer isn't it?
Back in the good old days, people didn't use deodorants, and flypaper or a swat would be used to deal with little pests. Cream came from a cow, not an aerosol, and paint came in a paint tin.

Life was good, although everyone stank and had flies round their a**es :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

This year is nothing like 1976. I believe the temps were regularly in the 90s then.

Until the dogs doings start turning white on the pavements again, nothing will rival '76. And if you weren't there, you won't know what I'm on about.

Summer of '95 was v hot and v long darn sarf at least, I vividly remember the awful tube journeys to work, the underground platform was at a constant 40 deg C and the trains not much cooler, people dropping like flies.

'76 was definitely into the 90's. Remember it well - wife and I bought our first and only tent. Still have the tent ... and the wife :D

Sponsored Links
Back