Sunshine, heat and lightning

I was there. I was 10 but remember it vividly.

The website I have posted seems to disagree quite strongly with the Wikipedia entry of the UK heatwave of 1976:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_United_Kingdom_heat_wave

Wikipedia says 90+ degrees was commonplace in Summer 76, the other site said it never happened all Summer.

Shrug.
[/i]

Yes, I was 10 too - suppose the user name gives a clue.

I wasn't actually monitoring the temps myself, so have only historical figures to go on. Just remember it being bloody hot for months, unable to sleep at nights, standpipes and our Daytona yellow Cortina:cool: covered in ladybirds.

Only ice cold cans of Cresta and regular strawberry Mivvis saved my life.

As well as 1995, seem to also remember some extremely uncomfortable temps in 2003 or thereabouts. Not for months, but possibly up to 100 degrees for a while.

Sponsored Links
!6 just left school. A job awaited in the drawing room at a portal crane builder. That summer changed my life and decided work was not a way to spend my life. I thought it would never end and everybody in a 4 mile radius was white. What a roaster bloody killed me

I had the "privilege" of working in Faversham in 2008 which boasts the UK all time record of 38.5 C (101.3 F)

I was 9 in 76, remember it very well, everything was brown, apart from the dog turds of course!

I had the "privilege" of working in Faversham in 2008 which boasts the UK all time record of 38.5 C (101.3 F)

I was 9 in 76, remember it very well, everything was brown, apart from the dog turds of course!

Funny how they go white, isn't it?

Sponsored Links
we spent our entire school holidays in the summer outside in the sun and I do not recall any problem with skin cancer.

Just a couple of thoughts on your co mment re skin cancer - and apparent lack of it - years ago.

1. In the years after the War, and right up to the '70's, we were a coal-burning society (think steam locomotives, mills, factories, domestic heating etc). This put millions of tons of muck into the air, which may to an extent have helped to protect us from the sun's radiation (though at the cost of greater respiratory ailments).

2. Since the 1960's and package-holidays, more people were able to fly to exotic places such as the Costas. This would also expose us pale Brits to fiercer sunshine than we were used to - hence more risk of skin cancer.

(Just my two-pennorth fwiw).

There we have the answer!

Holiday in the UK - not flying should please the greenies.

Bring back coal-fired power stations to protect us from the sun.

The greenies wouldn't be too happy about the second, but surely the first would cancel that out!

4 or 5 pleasant days and heat wave talk. who's next with global warming. I thought pollution helped cause that.

I thought pollution helped cause that.

Quite ironic, all these flights to sunnier climes, increase global warming which means we get heatwaves which mean we don't have to jet off to Spain anymore. So I guess it will all go back to 'normal' at some point.

4 or 5 pleasant days and heat wave talk. who's next with global warming. I thought pollution helped cause that.

Speak for yourself, been warm and sunny here for 3 weeks, peaked at 31 today and been humid.... I refuse to complain about it, but.... it's a bit hot here!!

LOL eggs cooking on pavements!
Real pavement? Luxury lad. When I were t'lad we'd have to use reconstituted powdered egg fried on our locally shared cowpat which used to get hot in t'summer.
You had powdered egg? Eee by gum, lad, you had it good!
Our ration books were kept under counter, never to see light of day..
(I've left your half pound of sausages in your drawer, sir)

Sponsored Links
Back