UK economy update

C

collisioni

Have a gander at the Royal Mail site, under media have a butchers at 22 July report. This report is a perfect example as to why this country is in it. Nobody is making, buying or selling, so all of the transport sector is suffering. The strength of the pound is making exports impossible. This is our gov, remember this bunch at election, all the tripe about how things are improving and exports up. Not according to the ONS. Not saying vote Lab either, they had their chance, Thatcher saw them off.

Sponsored Links
Apart from perhaps the record breaking 1.5 million cars produced last year in the UK but then again they're not posted :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Worst possible example, far too many variants in that to give a true indication of how things are. Plus that was last year

Well, have you factored in the fact that due to RM's quite ridiculous parcel pricing system, they are now uncompetitive in that market, can't remember the last or time I either sent or received a parcel via RM.

2014 BTW, looks set to break 2013 record for car manufacture.

Sponsored Links
Well, have you factored in the fact that due to RM's quite ridiculous parcel pricing system

Not just parcels either. The other day I went to the local post office to mail a large envelope, as I wasn't sure of the new size and thickness regulations.

The very helpful woman there told me that if I fold two of the edges over an inch or so and tape them down, the cost would be much less! She even said she'd do it for me herself.

I don't know who has made up all these silly regulations, but they must be either British or a Brussels bureaucrat.

2014 BTW, looks set to break 2013 record for car manufacture.
Would that be anything to do with the management being Japanese?

I don't know how big business works. So tell me do, please. Does all the profit made by manufacturers with factories in blighty go back to their homeland? Do we just benefit from the jobs and tax? If so why don't we make our own cars seeing as we clearly have the capability?
I'll take cover now :oops:

Yes, summed up perfectly. Profits taxed and off to the homeland. However, this doesn't include sweeteners to come here. Yes it is crazy coz if the profits stayed here then re-investments and spending power would be the way, it should be for all our benefits. Here's a joke. Anyone who owns a variable valve car can thank the crew at Longbridge. They designed and produced the first [vvc]. Jag owned by an Indian, guess were most of them go now, a bloody faece

We used to.

You may not remember but it was plagued by troubles for which the unions were blamed but I consider to have been the fault of bad management.

The successful mini was sold at a loss.
Most of the other cars from BL were rubbish.

Then virtually closed by the Government in a similar way to the mines.

Don't forget 'we' also make most of the racing cars in the world and a lot more we aren't told about except by that nasty Jeremy Clarkson.

Obviously (at least) some of the profits go back to Japan but whether they do that or go to an owner who lives in Monaco or with an off-shore tax fiddle makes little difference.
It is not allowed for us to have a successful nationalised industry.

What's with this Japan ? it's not only them who get the cream. Management always was always blameless when it came to strikes. However, as been mentioned before complacency by management was the cause. the demise of the motorcycle Industry ,specifically BSA perfect example. Most of the Jap bikes were designed by brits who left the sinking ship, coz management hadn't acknowledged the threat. Attitudes havn't changed. ' I'm alright Jack'

You may not remember but it was plagued by troubles for which the unions were blamed but I consider to have been the fault of bad management.

It was both, as it was in all types of industry. As I've said before, the trouble with us Brits is that we all pull in different directions. The Germans and the Japanese all pull together, hence their success despite their 'losing' the war!

No , management is/was to blame. It is their job to keep the workforce happy, to keep an eye on quality control and to get the orders. If management allowed things to slip in any of these the workforce will not like or respect them and standards by slacking will follow. Sloppy and complacent practices and coming to work in your flash car and leaving hours before the workforce only compounds the resentment. No, management are the culprits

It was both, as it was in all types of industry. As I've said before, the trouble with us Brits is that we all pull in different directions. The Germans and the Japanese all pull together, hence their success despite their 'losing' the war!

I could never understand why at Longbridge, etc, workers seemed hell bent on refusing to build cars. Everything was run on strict union lines.

When the Japs employed Brits in their factories, the workers couldn't have been more industrious - all without a shop steward in sight.

As I've said. Got to have respect. How can you respect complacent fools. My old man worked at Longbridge thru the troubles and well after. It was scandalous how it went down. Computor simulations for induction mix was the world leader.

Whitespirit66";p="3158821 said:
I could never understand why at Longbridge, etc, workers seemed hell bent on refusing to build cars. Everything was run on strict union lines.

When the Japs employed Brits in their factories, the workers couldn't have been more industrious - all without a shop steward in sight.

Not the whole story.... Unite is the recognised Union at Nissan and Honda. The management may well have a different approach to worker involvement, compared to say SKY and interestingly Triumph Motocycles....

DH

Sponsored Links
Back