Unblocking Loo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes, despite all the tricks on the interweb, the best solution is still to wrap up your arm in plastic, shove it down the pan and have a good poke around.

None of these worked for me:

Hot water and w-u-l

Hot water and bio powder

Plunger

Sponsored Links
Get out and visit some friends a bit more often!
Although you turning up every morning, paper tucked under arm, might arouse their suspicions :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
There's a good chance the pipe has become uncoupled or partially collapsed, a camera down the pan should be able to diagnose. It's a common problem.

Before you pull anything to bits go outside, lift your manhole cover and check its not blocked further down stream.

I find 99% of the time just get a bucket, fill it and pour down the pan from as high as you can. As long as the buckets not massive it won't come over the top of the pan (as long as it isn't already full to the brim).

Chap I work with doesn't so much have a ****e,,, more like he gives birth. Trust me, when he's been, no one dare go for about an hour. ;) ;)

Sometimes, despite all the tricks on the interweb, the best solution is still to wrap up your arm in plastic, shove it down the pan and have a good poke around.

None of these worked for me:

Hot water and w-u-l

Hot water and bio powder

Plunger

Have you tried a bottle of dishwasher liquid? Pour it in, leave it in for 15 mins then flush.

Only works if the blockage is actually in the toilet.

Hi guys

Eddie - no problem with pipe or coupling.

Mitch - thought with horror at one point it was blocked as it has happened before, but no.

gigz - tried bucket of very hot water x 8.

WS - tried W-u-L: is that what you mean?

s60 - tried plunger - did not shift it at all.

FMT - you are an arse - it wasn't even my output.

WS - tried W-u-L: is that what you mean?

No. Has to be dishwasher liquid. Not sure how it works, but someone showed me once and I have used it successfully several times since.

Pour a bottle into the blocked toilet, give it a stir (no fingers :eek: ) and wait 15 mins. Then flush your troubles away. Obviously, if the 'water' is up to the rim of the pan, you need to get bailing before adding liquid and flushing. And it won't work if the blockage is in the soil pipes further away.

You heard it here first!

If the water is up to the top of the pan -

wrap an old fashioned woolly mop in a plastic bag and plunge.

I was advised this on Plumbers' forum and couldn't believe how well it worked.

Sponsored Links
Back