Underfloor Heating and Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently in the process of having a new kitchen/diner and my kitchen fitter has offered to do the flooring. Having looked on the web at electric underfloor heating it suggests having insulation boards but the kichen fitter thinks its not required. The floor is concrete and has had a layer of latex floor levelling compound already. Is he right about not bothering with insulation boards?

Sponsored Links
The point of the insulation is to keep the heat in, you don't "need it", pretty wasteful not to have it though.

I was just wondering if the latex floor covering was any good as an insulator although it appears to be a cement based fiberous material which is probably not any good.

That's why kitchen fitters should only hang chip board boxes onto walls.... Have you considered the cost of running the electric underfloor heating even with insulation?

Sponsored Links
The heating would only be background heating to take the chill off the tiles. The primary heating is still radiators. My missus doesn't like cold floors but wants tiles...grrr!

As for the cost, not looked at it but I may have to re-calibrate the thermostat so the missus thinks its warmer than it really is and will save on my bills.

As for the Kitchen fitter I think I will do it myself and use insulating boards. Anyone know of a good electric cost effective floor heating product. I've seen a few but wondered if anyone had first hand experience.

Pink-slippers-009.jpg

Our old kitchen floor was uninsulated and unheated. Slippers didn't do a lot of good. Standing on the floor for 10 minutes prepping a meal, and feet were like blocks of ice.
Redid floor with 70mm insulation, much more bearable, but still a bit chilly in the winter.
I'd go with the matting plus the thickest board you can get away with. Marmox do different thicknesses.

Can anyone recommend an underfloor tile heating mat product. I have heard of many issues with broken circuits which mean taking up the tiles....nightmare!!

Sponsored Links
Back