Vauxhall

yes, I read that.

"value" does not make it clear.

So:

is it measuring ££ or something else?

is it adjusted for inflation?

Sponsored Links
:confused: I had a look at your source and I still can't tell if it is measuring billions of pounds, or something else, and I can't tell if it is adjusted for inflation.

Is it just that it's there and I've missed it, or is it simply not there?

Maybe the person who put it on his website copied it from somewhere else, and doesn't know.

The article says it's source is the index of production, this is inflation adjusted.

http://data.gov.uk/dataset/index_of_production

Micilin said:
It is easier and cheaper to sack a British worker than a German one.

I don't know about German employment laws, but the missus is in HR, and I know through her that it's DAMN HARD to legally sack a British worker.

Thanks.

I see it says

"Index of Production
Posted by Office for National Statistics on 11/12/2011

Measures the volume of production at base year prices for the manufacturing, mining and quarrying and energy supply industries"

"Energy Supply" is definitely not manufacturing, even if you decide that mining and quarrying are.

Or am I looking at the wrong description, and this is just the manufacturing subset?

Measures the volume of production at base year prices for the manufacturing, mining and quarrying and energy supply industries"

"Energy Supply" is definitely not manufacturing, even if you decide that mining and quarrying are.

Or am I looking at the wrong description, and this is just the manufacturing subset?

Yes, the chart was just for manufacturing, they provide different statistics for all 4, you can look at all the reports on the office for national statistics website if you have a spare few 44350982435 hours.

Maybe this document is easier to read.

http://www.pwc.co.uk/assets/pdf/ukmanufacturing-300309.pdf

Sponsored Links
Good find.
Now where are they fitted in mainstream desktops and laptops?
That was essentially the point.

I replied to this
yep lets all moan about the government doing it while we stock our own homes with appliances from abroad because they are a better price and on the whole reliable. How many of you are using a british computer filled with british made bits to moan?

You then mention,
I-pod
I-pad
HP Servers
A great number of smart phones.

So without moving the goalposts, tell me where these products are made?

Britain?

Good find.

Sorry they don't manufacture anything, they design only and others manufacture and install them in ALL the computers ipods and mobile phones etc. their profit last year was £6b, not bad for a company that doesn't actually make anything. :cool:

So the future of general motors most productive plant in ellesmere port is decided on the 28th its up against the less produtive german factory however the german goverment fight hand and fist to keep manufacturing in their own country so R.I.P Ellesmere port because most if not all of the people in vauxhalls plant havnt come from Eton and dont have a silver spoon in their mouth so im afraid that Dave "were all in this together" wont be intrested.

I was listening to the beeb and they was saying at this meeting there was no trade unionists from the Ellesmere port plant invited but there was representation from the german plants , not union members but a sort of company workers representers....not sure of the official title but no doubt the Ellesmere port plant was voted as one to go, they was also saying the manufacturing output at this plant is fantastic but the whole cost of supplying parts to it from mainland europe then building the cars there and delivering back to mainland europe was the reason behind it ...I really hope it stays

there was representation from the german plants , not union members but a sort of company workers representers
Works Council. Empowered by law and entitled to a seat on the Board.

German industrial relations structure was set up after WW2 with advice from, among others, British industrialists and unions. It is more co-operative and less polarised than the structure we use here.

Good find.

Sorry they don't manufacture anything, they design only and others manufacture and install them in ALL the computers ipods and mobile phones etc. their profit last year was £6b, not bad for a company that doesn't actually make anything. :cool:

Profit £6b, do you know how to read company reports?

http://ir.arm.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=197211&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1654432&highlight=

Steve Jobs unveils $7bn profit in second-quarter results amid hints the next version of iPhone will be released in September

See the slight difference?

The reason for the decline in UK manufacturing was the strikes in the 70s and 80s.

or possibly the reason for the strikes was bad industrial relations, and a decline in manufacturing making workers fearful and wanting to protect their jobs.

The reason for the decline in UK manufacturing was the strikes in the 70s and 80s.

Cmon.

China/India etc.

Workers paid 1/3 or less than us.
Lower corporation tax, national insurance tax (remember both you and your employer pay NI), council tax, (new)carbon tax, income tax.
Less restrictive environmental controls
Less workers rights.
(New) minimal wage

As well as workforce willing to move 100s of miles for work, live in the factories, and work 6 days a week and stupid hours.

Hands up who wants to work like that?

Anyone?

Anyone at all...........?

They do what we are no longer willing to do, and soon they will no longer be willing to do it, and the low quality manufacturing will move again, Africa and India are slated to be the next China.

Meanwhile we keep the high techs manufacturing, mostly this is manufacturing air planes and trains and some widgets that require a educated workforce, rather than a "dumb" workforce. Some low tech manufacturing is kept as we are able to make up the higher wages with higher productivity, but mostly for "upper class" goods (like quality linen etc).

Sponsored Links
Back