Why do the majoirty of new houses look so ****e

Some of the homes that I work in are certainly not cheap, £300.000 - £350,000 but still have walls made out of nothing better than cardboard. You would think for that price they could throw in some bricks and a bit of plaster.

Sponsored Links
I reckon out of 300k, only about 1/3 or 1/4 of that is actually spent on the house.

1/3 or even half will be the cost of the land and taxes.

Yes, I suppose you are right. The trouble is, the average buyer doesn't understand or worry about the construction of their new home. So long as it's got some decking and some flowery wall paper on the chimney breast, they are happy.

Some older properties create different problems such as solid concrete which is difficult to drill into on a DIY level but at least you are able to channel a pipe or cable, or lift a floorboard when needed.

Not everyone can live in a bespoke, individual, architect-designed house. The vast majority of houses have to be mass-produced.

True self build, either independently (single house) or as part of a community building several houses, can enable people to have a bespoke and individual house. When a group are built as a community project they will have a similar style and construction method but room layouts can be individual.

One of many reasons for drab utilitarian housing is the buyers who follow the "standard" route to house ownership and buy what is offered rather than making a bit more effort and finding a different route.

Land prices are expensive for sites suitable for standard spec built houses. There are sites that are considered un-suitable ( or un-economic ) for spec builds and these sites can be purchased at sensible prices but may require building methods suited to the ground conditions. Lightweight timber framing for example.

Sponsored Links
These mass developers couldn't build a nice house if they tried, even if the land was free.

Part of the problem is that land-owners only care about one thing, money, so the land goes to the highest bidder....and we all know who that is. If I had land to sell I'd probably sell individual plots, at reasonable prices, to local builders/self builders, etc.

But seriously, how much more expensive is it to make a house look and feel half decent?

Surely it doesn't cost that much more to build a decent house like this, as a posed to your average Barrett homes jobby?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/furnessbrick/10407186606/in/photostream/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/furnessbrick/10407247364/in/photostream/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/furnessbrick/10407329433/in/photostream/

a bit more effort

A bit of an effort, that's not what lot's of people report on various self build forums, our planning system is anti self build.

Then there are issues of mortgages.

There are sites that are considered un-suitable ( or un-economic ) for spec builds and these sites can be purchased at sensible prices but may require building methods suited to the ground conditions.

Do you have examples?

Don't forget that all the crappy, badly built, poorly designed Victorian houses have either been pulled down or fallen down - we're just left with the better ones now

Some in the right areas of Bristol have had vast amounts of money spent on them to keep them standing and bring them up to standard. Many don't seem to have any proper foundations at all.

Another reason not to touch new or nearly new with a bargepole is the change to planning rules that says that social housing now has to be mixed in with private.

So, when you have paid a purchase price that likely resembles a telephone number, and you go out every day to thrash yourself to death to keep up the payments on your ludicrous mortgage - you may find that you have scuzzers next door in a similar house to yours, provided by your taxes. Whilst you're out the door at 7.30am, they'll be in bed till lunchtime and the obligatory hordes of semi-feral, semi-criminal kids that they produce will burgle your house and deal drugs to your young children.

Or am I being too negative about mixed social and private housing?

Don't forget that all the crappy, badly built, poorly designed Victorian houses have either been pulled down or fallen down - we're just left with the better ones now

Some in the right areas of Bristol have had vast amounts of money spent on them to keep them standing and bring them up to standard. Many don't seem to have any proper foundations at all.

But I assume you'd still rather live in a Victorian home than in a mass-developed new one?

But I assume you'd still rather live in a Victorian home than in a mass-developed new one?

Not really. Vic does nothing for me and I think that some aspects of their design are out of date with the way people live now. Think downstairs bathroom tacked onto the back of the kitchen, dark passageways, small windows, etc, etc. Then, if it's listed, you're restricted to what you can do.

I don't mind mass-developed as long as it's done well with quality materials and skilled tradesmen. Not far from me is a suburb that was developed in the 30s. There are hundreds of houses all built about the same time, but they are built properly when good materials were more affordable.

They're mostly semis or detached, but most differ from each other in a way that makes them loosely similar, but individual enough not to look like boring ranks of what the Yanks would call 'cookie-cutter' houses. They have bays, garages, large high roofs and good sized gardens. They are rock solid, with brick internal walls and are versatile enough for extensions and loft conversions to be possible.

For me, 30s homes are the best in terms of style and quality, but you probably couldn't afford to build houses like this these days in big numbers without them being unaffordable. So, instead we get crap that people can just about afford.

I live in a 60s box, because it's a good trade off between quality, space, big garden and affordability. People knock them for being characterless, and yes they may be compared to period places. But character costs - so a house with character but the same sq. footage as mine would cost a lot more.

Some of the homes that I work in are certainly not cheap, £300.000 - £350,000 but still have walls made out of nothing better than cardboard. You would think for that price they could throw in some bricks and a bit of plaster.

Some good points on here about varying quality of house construction.

If the government are a bit short of things to debate, perhaps they could consider legislating to oblige estate agents to provide comprehensive details of construction materials for all properties they sell. I think this would be at least as useful to the prospective buyer as these 'energy efficiency' reports we have to pay for now.

As mentioned before it's cost. Yes it is design and architects who hold some of the blame as they are part of the cost. Uninspired copycat stuff as well, build an armadillo in Newcastle get one in Glasgow. The Victorian stuff is now full of immigrants, the ghetto's

Interesting to watch (from a distance!) what's happening to property and their values in London. Even the smart set can't stretch to anything in the desirable, central areas. Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Peckham and Wandsworth are up and coming. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back