Why do the majoirty of new houses look so ****e

Sponsored Links
But seriously, "demand" wasn't very high 6 years ago - when house-building was at an all time low.
And so supply dropped off, penny starting to drop? No didn't think so! :mrgreen:

..supply dropping off, in my opinion, would mean more competition for fewer customers, therefore you build nicer houses to try and attract them, so why didn't they? We Brits like cheap ****e?

Your initial argument is based on the fact there's a housing shortage, and they can't build them fast enough, therefore this impacts the quality.

UK consumers like new houses, be they crap or not that is the situation, that's why they sell. Developers will build what they can get away with building and to maximise profit. Its really not complicated stuff.

Sponsored Links
Old house versus new house, out of interest looks apart, how technically would you rate them?

Old house versus new house, out of interest looks apart, how technically would you rate them?

Old house; bigger rooms, bigger windows, real wood floors, solid walls (better sound proofing), higher ceilings (Victorian/Georgian houses), convertible loft space, slate roof (long life-span)

New house; well insulated, less chance of damp.

As many buyers are young couples starting out on life new houses are an attractive option.

Less work required=less financial outlay.
Older properties hold little attraction to young people(cannot blame them) I much prefer nice straight walls and lower ceilings and I certainly don't miss that 'old house' smell.

Modern houses are so air tight they can be pressure tested to find the leaks. Low cost to heat but lacking fresh air they may not be good for one's health. Maybe no damp but many have problems with condensation.

Old houses ( mine is 498 years old ) breathe and have no condensation problems. Thick stone walls keep it cool in summer and retain warmth in winter. It may be more expensive to run ( or in extra sweaters ) but it has far more attraction to me than a modern house.

Before this I lived in a self built Walter Segal house for 30 years, that was close to perfection as a place to live. Not air tight, walls designed to breathe, healthy and no damp or condensation.

I would rather pay a bit more to run a house than save money in an air tight box with limited ventilation and recycled germs and bacteria

bernardgreen";p="3182828 said:
but many have problems with condensation.

New or "new"?, I don't know any new houses that suffer from condensation?

Thick stone walls keep it cool in summer and retain warmth in winter. It may be more expensive to run ( or in extra sweaters )

Thick stone walls keep it warm, but are more expensive to run, uh?

Sponsored Links
Back