Yay, I love global warming

I always remember the paper I read on sticking the waste in metal torpedo's and chucking it in the deep ocean, the shape of the torpedoes means they bury themselves, and the geology is the most stable anywhere.

Safest way to dispose of it, a complete non starter politically.

Sponsored Links
all the replies regarding nuclear waste were as expected. They confirm it is dangerous and all methods of disposal have risks. I am sure non here know exactly what the true risks are. However, we do know what happens when thngs do go wrong. We could be sitting on time bombs. Forget the 'we're destroying the ozone' brigade, radiation will do a far better job

I'm talking about half a mile or more underground. If there was any leakage, it would sink further into the Earth. Also, the drums you mention are, as I understand it, temporary storage of low level radiation waste. As Eddie said, permanent storage is in solid glass which is not going to leak anyway.

Think you will find they are too dangerous to be moved.
My daughter is going on to do a PHD in Chemistry dealing with the nuclear waste problem.
The thing is no one knows what the composition of the waste is,for instance it may be a+b+c= d,but what happens if say A is removed does it make it more stable or unstable, this is where analytical chemistry comes in.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/news-events/news/2014/january/04-distinctive.html

Graduation is in a fortnight where she will have an official sex change of becoming a Master after going away as a miss.Not bad for council house stock Joe.

Graduation is in a fortnight where she will have an official sex change of becoming a Master after going away as a miss.Not bad for council house stock Joe.

Perhaps she could set a precedent and ask to be made a mistress instead!

Sponsored Links
all the replies regarding nuclear waste were as expected. They confirm it is dangerous and all methods of disposal have risks. I am sure non here know exactly what the true risks are. However, we do know what happens when thngs do go wrong. We could be sitting on time bombs. Forget the 'we're destroying the ozone' brigade, radiation will do a far better job

I presume you are not overly worried that nuclear waste might cause a nuclear explosion.

There's that 'radiation' word again. It seems to have a political power comparable to the words 'racism' and 'islamophobia'!

Why not google a comparison of man-made radiation and natural background radiation.

http://www.fpl.com/environment/nuclear/images/radiation_sources.jpg

There will always be those who never see a problem even when the evidence is overwhelming. Any kind of nuclear activity , controlled or otherwise is dangerous. The business at Chernobyl with reports of fallout in Scotland should be enough. Radiation of any type is also a problem for everyone in one way or another. As with volcanos a nuclear disaster will get the same coverage via the atmosphere. I see nuclear power as a stepping stone to safer power generating, it cannot be the solution. I find no similarity with Islam or Radiation other than them being problems that ruins things.

There will always be those who never see a problem even when the evidence is overwhelming. Any kind of nuclear activity , controlled or otherwise is dangerous. The business at Chernobyl with reports of fallout in Scotland should be enough. Radiation of any type is also a problem for everyone in one way or another. As with volcanos a nuclear disaster will get the same coverage via the atmosphere. I see nuclear power as a stepping stone to safer power generating, it cannot be the solution. I find no similarity with Islam or Radiation other than them being problems that ruins things.

And there will always be those prophets of doom who choose, through their ignorance, to blow things completely out of proportion. Chernobyl is usually quoted by them as a prime example of the problems of nuclear power, but they tend to forget that this is an isolated incident caused by Russia's lack of attention to safety measures. This is not the case in this country. Of course, there have been other much more minor incidents in this country and other western nations, but perhaps we should sit back and compare the number of fatalities in the nuclear power industry to those in, say, coal mining.

Anyway, those who fear and decry the use of nuclear power had better get used to it, because when fossil fuels run out (or well before, as the greenies seem to be calling the shots) there will be no other viable alternative.

Nuclear power is the safest energy source we have as an option:
http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/03/deaths-per-twh-by-energy-source.html
deathTWH.JPG

And no one has yet come up with a scenario where nuclear waste can escape from their final disposal into the environment, and cause the slightest problem.

I even have studies on this issue carried out by a multi-disciplinery team on an actual deep geological disposal site.

Leave it out John, don't go to the 'absolute links' again. I would have thought you would have learnt from the last time. Anyone can supply any info on anything and most of it is worthless. I'm no doom and gloomer, just a realist. Put all your eggs in one basket, some don't learn. Oooh can't let it happen again, 'til the next time.

Nuclear energy is expensive compared to other energy sources. It comes with a stigma that all the talk won't change. If this source of energy is so good, why are the Germans scaling down with the intention of complete removal ? Watch Germany, they know something

Nuclear energy is expensive compared to other energy sources. It comes with a stigma that all the talk won't change. If this source of energy is so good, why are the Germans scaling down with the intention of complete removal ? Watch Germany, they know something

Perhaps the Germans are quite prepared to ignore the 'green rulings' (by which we Brits mindlessly abide) and make use of their large reserves of coal. Nevertheless, I have a feeling that they, too, will begin to invest in nuclear power. We can't all rely on the forward-thinking Frogs for our nuclear energy.

What would you suggest that we do, bearing in mind that we are obliged to appease the greenies? More windmills?

Don't be absurd, more windmills indeed. The Germans have decided, ende spiel. German coal so I believe is brown low grade stuff. Greens are misguided and hypocrites or, they would live in trees and caves. I'm saying that there has to be a way other than the expensive, dangerous and long term waste, nuclear. Somebody better come up with something, not before or sources have been exhausted tho, lol

Don't be absurd, more windmills indeed. The Germans have decided, ende spiel. German coal so I believe is brown low grade stuff. Greens are misguided and hypocrites or, they would live in trees and caves. I'm saying that there has to be a way other than the expensive, dangerous and long term waste, nuclear. Somebody better come up with something, not before or sources have been exhausted tho, lol

Germany has a fairly small coastline? Thorium, more research to be done, is a viable reactor, with no very long term waste and incapable of running away (half life couple of hundred years) You sound like a closed minded luddite.

Luddite, certainly not, realist only. Don't waste recourses might be a time before viable replacements, better still go and worship the sun. Dullards

Sponsored Links
Back