adjusting table height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kitchen table that I want to lower, it is wooden with stools. What is the best method? Is a handsaw the best way? I am a lady newby and need help. :(

Sponsored Links
Yep, thats about it, really....plus some nice accurate measuring!
One tip is to wrap the leg with masking tape after marking which should help you cut a straight line.
If the legs are square, cut in a bit on each flat......if they are round, cut in a bit, then rotate the leg then cut some more.
A tenon saw is ideal for this.
John :)

Thanks for that. The masking tape is a good idea, its getting it level im worried about. What is a tenon saw? I have 1 saw but don't know what it is called, I thought a saw was a saw. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Its one of the shorter saws with a thick top edge (called a backsaw).....
A large hand saw will make a bit of a mess as they are a bit savage, so something with nice fine teeth would be best.
Don't worry about it not being perfectly level......you can pad the legs up with a sticky pad or a drawing pin!
John :)

Take them all off, put them all on the table top (flat surface) and measure from the top end and mark them all so you can see they are the same length.

However is your floor level? If so thats going to throw a wobbler into your measurements :)

Once you have cut them, you will need to sand them down with some rough sandpaper and a block.

Is there a little metal foot fitted in the bottom of the feet? you may be able to prize them out and refit onto the shorter legs with a hammer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back