Best kitchen unit supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to replace our kitchen units and not sure which supplier to use. I have some options based on access to accounts:

Howdens - their range on doors looks a bit limited. I have an account with decen discounts
Wickes - had bad reports about the quality but they did have some units we liked
B&Q - Not a great range although I get decent discounts here
Ikea - they've just changed their range so might be something nice when it's out. I have been told their sizing is (or was?) different to most
Homebase - not looked and I don't get a good feeling about their brand. Entirely prejudice however

Does anyone have any input on good/bad points of these suppliers?

Any alternatives to look at?

Sponsored Links
Get an account at Benmarx, cheaper than howdens.
Homebase very expensive even with any discounts.

I've got an Ikea kitchen from the range they've just replaced (Faktum) and I'm very happy with the quality and the range of widths and depths made it easy to fit everything in just how I wanted it.
The old Faktum range was full depth with no service gap at the back which meant some rerouting of waste and water pipes - no idea what the new range is like - and also required slightly deeper worktops than standard or you'd have no overhang at the front.

Thanks to both of you.

Also have access to a Magnet account which were recommended to me so might look there too - they look expensive though.

Sponsored Links
From the firms you mention i'd go for howdens. In my experience the offer the best bang for your buck and are qite open to a little haggleing.

I have found alot of the "high street" stores charge lots more than the products are really worth and the service is terrible.

You might want to consider diy-kitchens.com at Pontefract. I've just ordered a 14-unit kitchen from them with laquered MDF gloss doors and the cabinets are supplied rigid (glued and dowelled). Doors and drawers fitted too, if you choose the option.
Blum drawer fittings and hinges - good selection of Franke sinks & taps as well as others, some decent appliances.
The website make it easy to configure the kitchen. The pricing is transparent and I'd say it's very good value. We visited the factory/showroom in Pontefract and were very impressed.
i hope I don't have to eat these words in three weeks time when the kitchen arrives...

All the above are very good in their industries and also depending on quality of units required - they all serve a good purpose!
In a previous role, I have fitted B&Q and Homebase units and they have done the job but whether they can stand the time of wear and tear is another question.

It also depends if your going for standard sizes, or would like a custom sized kitchen. Alot of the 'bigger' companies will only offer in standard sizes (400,500,600 etc) and in the choice of is what normally 3 colors of carcass. Have a look around for other companies which offer alot more flexibility in terms of quality and sizing. You will also find that the smaller companies can offer alot more in terms of support through your buying and ordering process and understand your requirements.

I hope that helps and indeed, good luck with your kitchen!

Thanks for the extra replies - seems like no major flaws in any of those suppliers.

We'll probably be at this house for 5 years maximum so I'm sure whatever we get will last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back