Can/Should i Modify a kitchen wall unit?

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Tall/Slim kitchen wall unit that i need to put up but the problem that i have is that there is an electrical socket in the way (top left hand corner) which i obviously cannot drill into in order to stick the wall bracket there.

View media item 72362
If i place the bracket above or below the power socket instead it wont align the wall unit to match with the other units.

As with most wall units the brackets and fixings are located in the top corners of the units

View media item 72361
But is there any solution that is possible so that i can possibly cut out a small chuck out of the wall unit so that it covers over the power socket and i could change or modify the left fixing on the wall unit so that it is in the middle of the unit instead. I thought that i could just move the left fixing into the middle of the unit easily but it seem as though the only way the fixing is attached to the unit is via the side:

View media item 72366
Basically I dont think there is much point in having to relocated the power socket because even if that was the case then it would still have to be filled up with some kind of plaster material, and i wouldnt feel that comfortable for the unit to be drilled into a material which isnt the original wall (mainly just concerned about the safety aspect)

Any Help/Advice is appreciated. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd move the socket if at all possible......when you back it away from the wall, do the wires go vertically upwards?
(It may be fed from the left though, looking at your pics).
You can cut the back of the new cupboard away, but it looks a bit naff.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Be careful you do not drill into the wires feeding the socket, check which direction they are coming from.

I would remove the socket and terminate safely.

I would be more concerned with the other wiring..... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back