Chimney flue partially blocked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure where to post this so I'll put it here,

We have recently purchased a new house and are in the process of renovation.

We plan to have a wood burner in the front lounge, there is a large breast in the lounge and this continues through the house to a solid chimney etc.

The problem we have is that when the installer came to install the liner, he couldn't get it all the way down. Luckily he could call on a sweep friend with a camera kit.

What they found is that the chimney has been partially blocked by the building work that the next-door neighbours (previous owners - about 25 years ago) had done in knocking out their side of the breast.

This wasn't obvious from our ground level as the house is sited on a hill so their ground floor is about 1m above ours also the overhanging blocks are higher up in the wall.

The installer is not keen to install without a liner (neither am I) as it doesn't look very well sealed and would be difficult to sweep.

They appear to have narrowed the chimney by a couple of inches only but it is enough to prevent the liner from passing down.

I have attached a couple of pictures looking up the chimney toward the blockage, you can see the cone on the liner on the far side of the blocks.

The question is; What can I do about this?

The neighbours seem friendly enough, but I don't now how they'd take a suggestion to remove their dining room wall!

Could I attack the overhang from my side without compromising their wall?

Any suggestions welcome, this site has been so useful to me so far, this is my first house and the knowledge and advise here is great.

Cheers View media item 83345

Sponsored Links
What size liner did your installer try to fit? 6 inch? Try a 5 inch liner instead. You'll need to choose a stove with a 5 inch flue though.

Is the obstruction caused by mortar? I removed some excess mortar using a Bailey Drop Scraper.

Unfortunately it is already a 5" liner that's being used. From what we can see it's the edge of the breezeblocks that have been installed too far into the flue that's causing the issue, don't think a scaper will have much impact on these.

thanks for your thoughts though.

It looks like cement snot to me.....how far up the chimney are you here?
Can you break in from your side at all?
John :)

Sponsored Links
At times like this a small child is very useful :

Can you get square\rectangular flues? (or make this one squareish?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back