Hand riveter - dodgy tool or bad workman?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Forge Steel hand riveter that I use very occasionally.

I have a problem in that every time I use the riveter, the steel pin is retained in the riveter. I have to disassemble the plunger/spring/jaw mechanism to remove the pin. It doesn't matter how tight or loose the screw cap is in the back.

Am I doing something wrong, or have I just got a naff tool? It gets good reviews in Screwfix as an occasional use tool.

Thanks
J

Sponsored Links
Mine will not just drop out either but they can be poked through with another rivet from the back as it doesn't have a cap, will yours not work with the cap off.

Yanking them open should work, it's only the serrations that have dug into the rivit shank to provide the pulling grip, that is stopping the shank from dropping out.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Does yanking the handles open after use not help, Jim?
John :)
Yanking them open should work, it's only the serrations that have dug into the rivit shank to provide the pulling grip, that is stopping the shank from dropping out.

Wotan
Yes have to be wide open to release pin.

Yes, a good yank does the trick. Seems it was "bad workman" all along :oops:

Thanks for the replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back