How gas pipe gets to cast iron insert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am planning on replacing my existing tiled fireplace (1930s style) with a cast iron insert and slate heart.

The current gas fire has the 8mm pipe running over the existing tile hearth (not connected, I got it capped when I moved in).

When the new fire goes in, I don't want the gas pipe to run across the front of the fireplace over the hearth. However, I don't understand how it gets to the gas insert (Nu-Flame N1) without going across the hearth? The cast iron surround/insert will form a complete seal around the sides and back of the fire, so does it go underneath the hearth and pop up in the middle? If so, is there any advice on how best to do this?

Also, what is the order of installation for this job? Obviously the gas work will all be done by someone GS registered but I am intending on installing the hearth and mantelpiece myself (may need a professional to do the cast iron insert installation) but I don't want to get the professionals in until the job is ready for them.

Thanks for your help in advance, my first post...

Sponsored Links
My gas supply runs under and up into the hearth, you will need the gas appliance instruction to get the approx position for the pipe run then you can fit surround etc and have the gas finally connected.Worth having the fitter take a look and advise on installation requirement before you start.

So does your pipe run between the hearth and the constructional (concrete) hearth, or below the the concrete? I'm not sure I could get it in underneath the constructional hearth, I think it's pretty much brick down to the foundations.

At the moment I have already got the constructional hearth and just need to put the slate on top. There is plenty of room around the burner to route 8mm pipe from wherever it enters.

As I mentioned worth speaking to installer prior to work , can recommend suitable route, difficult to say without sight of installation.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for taking time to reply, I'll post results when I get some!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back