Making adjoining walls more sound proof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just moving into my new home, its a 1960's semi. the neighbours have young children which is not at all a problem for us however it has highlighted just how much sound travels through the wall between the two houses. I'm worried that not only will we be able to hear them, they will be able to hear us. Luckily they seem like a really nice conscientious couple who have already told me to let them know if there is too much noise. however it seems better for us all if i can improve the sound resistance of the walls myself.

the house itself is about it be stripped apart room by room and refitted and probably plastered, so my initial thought is that i can build a false wall in front of the current walls and line them with sound absorbing materials. im quite happy to line the walls between the chimney breasts with a good 10 - 15 cm deep stud wall as long as the sound deadening material isnt to expensive to fill it.

Any suggestions as to what I could use?

also the floors both upstairs and downstairs are wooden, im wondering if i should also fill between the joists just at the joining side with something as well.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Ideally you need to put in a false wall, fully detached from the existing party wall, but 10-15cm might be a bit on the narrow side to do it.
Have a google around there are plenty of pages (and some interesting Youtube vids) on soundproofing - but basically you can put in a double skinned layer of heavy plasterboard (acoustic plasterboard like soundstop or similar) and decouple if from the existing wall by using resonance bars or attaching it to the floor & ceiling not the existing wall you should see a decent drop in transmitted sound.

to be honest its not a problem to go deeper, could probably spare the depth of the chimney in truth, id rather get a proper sound barrier than a half effort although as always the budget is limited

Sponsored Links
I had good results with rockwool, I stacked it 300mm deep to block a disused doorway to a conference room and provided almost total soundproofing, so 150mm behind plasterboard should work well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back