Mystery object sticking out of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

Just moved in to a 1930s terraced house and starting to make a few changes. We noticed some odd looking things sticking out of the interior walls. Any ideas what these are? There are three of them, all upstairs.

They seem to be metal... some kind of wall tie perhaps?

Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
Can you give them a bit of a sand, or scrape them with a screwdriver, to reveal the metal shape more clearly?

I'd guess it was some kind of hanging / wall fixing.

If you hit it with a hammer it will knock off next doors picture that's hanging onto it.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies...

Gave one a poke with a screwdriver and they are square in shape and metal. Two of them are on walls that connect to the next door neighbour's house and one is to the right of a window facing out to the street.

You could ask previous owner or ask next door if they have them

Thanks for the ID! Are they from gas lighting do you think? They're in three of the bedrooms...

:D

So are they best left alone or is there a sensible way of getting rid of them?

Of course there's always the option of sticking a picture over the top... it worked on Shawshank Redemption

There's every chance that these have been disconnected years ago, but I certainly wouldn't chance it.....its not a good idea to open the square blank plug without supporting the coupling behind it firmly! Gas pipes were often lead, or at least the early ones were before they became steel.
Either way, I'd want them identified, just so they don't receive a picture nail in the future.....
John :)

So you were planning on some plastering and redecorating weren't you :)

Its a good job you pointed at it in that first pic or I'd have never noticed it! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back