Not sure where to start... (Bathroom floor & paint)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my upstairs toilet room I recently had the toilet replaced and a new sink fitted. I want to accomplish the following:

- Fit a new floor
- Fill in the "gaps" at the bottom of the walls
- Paint the room

I am not sure how to accomplish filling in the gaps and what I should use, or the order I should do these tasks in. Any help appreciated, thanks :)

View media item 80877

Sponsored Links
First thing you need to do is assess what is under the floorboards. This is to ensure whatever you lay is 'removable' should you need access, I cannot see any CH pipes etc. but obviously I don't know what is under there.

Looking at your pic, you could well have the option [dependant on what is below] of normal overboarding then tile, lino, laminate etc. - you choice.

The issue I believe you will have is that normal skirting (you could use taller skirting) will probably not fit on the left hand side as it looks like the pipework is very close to the wall beneath the sink.

Find out what is below first then think about what you want to put down. Remember that whatever you put down will involve a bit of work moving and replacing the sanitary ware.

Just IMHO though...

B

Would need to know what flooring you propose, tiling would be the obvious choice, you could use a half tile instead of skirting for easy cleaning or half tile the wall. I would box in the sink and soil pipe, you will need the toilet removing to allow boarding over if you want the floor tiled.
Not sure what Belboz concerns are about access to under floor, as any floor covering is removable.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what Belboz concerns are about access to under floor, as any floor covering is removable.

In the sense that anything is removable but I was more concerned that he boards over then lays tiles only to find there is pipework under there which he may need access to. I can't see a rad in the picture so shouldn't be a problem but better to check first IMHO.

As you know, if a CH pipe goes wrong under there, he would either have to take up the tiled floor or get access by removing some of the ceiling below.

That's what I was getting at.

Some flooring would be less problematic should that issue arise (e.g. lino or laminate) but a boarded over and tiled floor would be a real pain to have to lift if something went wrong.

So you recommend never sealing a floor in case the CH goes wrong? Very strange concept.

So you recommend never sealing a floor in case the CH goes wrong? Very strange concept.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As I stated in my response to the OP - my post was IMHO

Yours clearly differs and it would be a boring forum if everyone has the same opinions about DIY.

And the latter is again IMHO.

You could always use beading at the bottom edge of skirting board.
What for?

Skirting board may not be sufficient to bridge The gap between the floorboards and wall.
There will be no gap once flooring is laid edge to edge and skirting or tile applied.

Sorry, missed the part where he mentioned tiles, oops he didn't.

Only if a solid floor covering was used would the gaps be of no consequence but as has been mentioned vinyl is a consideration, so yes, the gaps
(If there are any)will be an issue.

No gaps with vinyl either, would need a hardboard underlay, toilet should be removed whatever the flooring.

Ok think I will go with tiling then, so a process like follows:

1) Get a plumber to remove the toilet (I have no idea how to do this)

===

3) Paint the room
3) Tile the floor and the gaps between the floor and wall

===

4) Replace the toilet

Removing the loo is straight forward.

Turn off the water to cistern, there should be an inline isolation valve and disconnect the feed to cistern.
Remove securing screws inside cistern.
Remove the threaded bars and associated nylon washers/nut that hold the cistern to the pan.
Lift cistern off pan.
Undo screws securing the pan to floor.
Ease the pan from soil pipe.
Done.

If you don't feel comfortable refitting then get a plumber in, at least you will save on the removal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back