Placing Shower tray on Thermalite blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am in the process of installing a quadrant shower on a solid concrete floor and was wondering if I will have a problems in the future if I place the 18 inch ply on Thermalite blockwork.
The tray does not have anywhere to put legs and I think the block will give me more stability than 3x4 wood.
I would appreciate anyones views or experience on this approach.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
This is not my area of expertise but I did exacly what you're suggesting with my shower some years ago. I put the blocks down on the concrete floor and, after having checked the position of the waste pipe and trap, I fixed the sealed ply to the top. Then I put the shower tray on top of that.

It worked very well and felt very solid. It was a stone tray so it didn't sound hollow, either. I moved out of that house two or three years later so I can't tell you how it lasted...

I used 18mm ply, not 18 inch..! :LOL:

FWIW I installed my shower (floor is wood in my case though) on 4" x 4" bearers screwed into the joists with 18mm marine ply on top. Gap left for waste, tray siliconed to the plywood. Been in five years, not moved a millimetre! Gap under shower closed up with UPVC soffit strip secured with wood screws into the 18mm ply.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your contribution fellas, I will go ahead with the blocks and hope all goes to plan over the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back