Using a router to make signs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone on here tried using a router to make signs, like a house sign etc? If so, any tips?

Have heaps of wood but haven't got a router yet! (so any suggestions on that front appreciated too)

Sponsored Links
A bit more detail as to what you are hoping to make might not go amiss.
That said ply templates are good and top bearing cutters are good to use with them as it means you can make the template the same size as the sign you wish to produce. Simple moulding cutters with bearings are good if you wish to decorate the outside edges.

Probably nothing too fancy, just letters.

Will most cutters work well in fresh hardwood? (mainly beech)

By fresh do you mean green or unseasoned? If so then yes they will work, most power tools will work with green timber although I find it tends to clog up extractor ports and gum up blades much more than seasoned timber . Different woods act differently of course and to be honest I don't think I've used a router on green beech , just hand tools. By the way seasoned beech dust can be one of the most irritant of wood dusts so use a mask.

Sponsored Links
That's a nice bit of kit big-all although I probably wouldn't spend that much if I only wanted to make one sign. Now if there were a fair few signs to make........

Thanks, I want to ask if there's any recommendations for a half decent router to buy without spending a fortune, but I realise there's probably been loads of threads on it before!

to be honest any old router will do but would aim for 600w or more
you can only really go about 4 or 5mm in otherwise you need multiple passes but thats more than enough
on other tasks sloppyness is a problem but in this task it wont matter as long as the collet hold tight to the bit

Slow start is a good feature on a router I find. I actually prefer a larger tool a 1/2" rather than a 1/4" , personal choice of course. I have a 1/2" Dewalt which I find more ergonomic to use in relation to the switches and adjusters than the 1/4" Bosch I also own. Then again if I have to use a router above waist height the lighter Bosch comes into it's own .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back