Windproofing the sides of a garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am in the process of getting my garage into a usable state and I need to seal around the garage doors - the doors are up and over aluminium/steel type doors.

I have found weather strips for the bottom of the door online and in the DIY chains for around £15 for a 2.5m strip which attaches to the outside of the door but I also need to seal the sides as there are gaps and a lot of wind comes in through them.

I found some 3mm x 50mm rubber strip online which looks ideal. Could I use that attached to the frame on the inside with self tappers to create a seal down the sides?

I know I wouldn't be able to go all the way to the top as when the door opens it hinges down but I cant think of any other way of doing it. Are there kits for sealing the sides or other ways I haven't thought about?

Thanks
Jason

Sponsored Links
Hi Jason

have a look in ebay, put upvc door seals into the search box, there may be something suitable'

Wotan

jason - some years ago I did what you're proposing.

I had a roll of plastic dpc (150mm wide black stuff), cut enough for each drop, top and base. Folded each piece length-wise, making them 75mm wide then pop-riveted them to the inside face of the door ... I used flat washers against the plakka. At the door 'pivot' point I cut the vertical plakka bits and fixed the top half to the door and the bottom half to the frame ... this allow the door to function. Oh, the folded edge out-over and rivets through the 'open' edge.

The point about folding the plakka in half meant that it was rigid enough to stay in place ... if it had only been 'single' ply I reckon it would have deflected in the wind. No drafts or dust entered the place.

These lasted 20 years until I moved house ... I reckon they are still functioning.

Oh, and while I was at it I fixed a couple of Tower bolts to the door inards (near the base) to shoot sideways to the side frames ... kept the villains out from nicking all my tackle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back