Dead Dell Laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One for any boffins on here. Dell laptop suddenly died never to go again. Tried replacing hard drive (from identical Dell)-no joy. Tried new battery - still no joy. Screen gives a quick flash on attempted power up. So thoughts are possibly power supply or processor. Would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts from the experts. TIA

Sponsored Links
Process of elimination, only way to be sure.

You can get into bios with only cpu and memory installed, so if it won't even go that far, it is very unlikely to be anything other than (in order of likelihood)......

Power
Mobo (including on-board graphics chip).
CPU/Memory

If the CPU or Memory is bad, most motherboards can still give some kind of error code, which may be just a series of beeps. Bad CPU or Memory is typically rare. Look up your motherboard manual, to check if it has this feature.

If fans and lights are working, but no display, try hooking it up to a monitor in case the LCD is knackered, this however seems unlikely.

It would help immensely if you specify the model and specification of the machine. The service tag will do. Certain machines are prone to specific failure modes.

Model details are: Dell Inspiron 1545, Model number PP41L, Ref no: 08225

Sponsored Links
Does the power light remain on after the screen flashes, or does it just go entirely dead?

Just goes completely dead. I have tried another Power supply to no avail and have just checked its own supply and this is OK, showing just over 19v. Monkeh, where are you in Cornwall?

Just goes completely dead. I have tried another Power supply to no avail and have just checked its own supply and this is OK, showing just over 19v.

External charger is unlikely to be the issue. This sounds like a dead CPU, RAM, or chipset. No beeps?

Monkeh, where are you in Cornwall?

South east.

Hold the Fn key down and press the power button.

I am also South east Cornwall. Do you run a repair business?

No, although I do repair machines in my spare time. Doing it all day would result in dead customers, not happy ones.

I don't have any spare parts for these machines laying around, either, which turns it into an educated money-throwing exercise.

Thanks for all your help, Monkeh, It does sound like it,s a dead duck. It is 6 years old so I can't complain.

Have you tried pulling it to bits.

Sometimes failures can physically manifest (such as bulging or leaky capacitors).

Also pulling it to bits would help you see how easy it is to do, and evaluate the cost and hassle of replacing bits.

Or you could sell it for spares or repair and still get some money for it.

Piece of cake - 12 minute strip -:rolleyes: :confused:

-0-

Piece of cake - 12 minute strip -:rolleyes: :confused:

-0-

Nice ESD strap he's got, shame it doesn't do anything.

What you don't see in that is the number of screws he's rounded, threads he's stripped, connectors he's broken, clips he's broken, and cables he's kinked, working like that.

Sponsored Links
Back