Photosmart printer wireless connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a photosmart 5520 printer, trying connect up for wireless, I have gone through the set up wizard and in-putted the data asked for during set up on both the printer.
But once it comes to in-putting the IP address or network name, the PC is not recognising either, therefore a connection cannot be made. Suggestion are to disable my firewall (norton 360) which I don't really want to do.
I printed a report out which suggests to me that everything should be okay!
Stating wireless on and working, connection made between router and printer, network found, printer settings consistent with wireless router.
Can anyone assist in helping get the thing working.
The PC is XP but also having problems with laptop on windows 8.
Tried disc provided and online drivers.

Sponsored Links
Both PC and Laptop are on the wireless network and functioning as expected, so can I assume the wireless connection is fine?
The wireless icon on the printer indicates there is a signal and connected but on in-putting requested data (IP address) it is showing error message, I have checked numerous times that the data I input is correct.

yes, you probably can.

1) have you checked your wireless access point settings as in the link?
2) I dont understand why you're putting in an ip address - can you clarify? - surely the router is serving ip addresses (your dhcp server on the router? - you havent disabled this have you?)

cheers

Sponsored Links
Some wireless printers can be a total nightmare to set up! IIRC this particular one needs to connect to a local machine via USB so that an IP address can be input during setup.

Open a Command Prompt (Start - RUN - CMD <enter>)
type IPCONFIG at the command prompt. Note the IP address. It will be in the format aaa.bbb.ccc.xxx aaa.bbb is usually 192.168 but can be other values. ccc is usually 0 or 1, xxx can be anything from 1 to 254.

We will assume your IP address is 192.168.1.20 (but make sure aaa, bbb & ccc are the same as IPCONFIG reports)

To make sure you do not "collide" with an existing IP, put the printer at the top end. At the Command Prompt key in PING 192.168.1.225 and hit enter. (Notice the first three parts of the number are the same as your PC). Hopefully you will get no replies, which means that IP address is unused, and when prompted for an IP address during SETUP you can give that one. If you should get replies then just choose a different fourth octet (the last part of the number) and retry the PING command.

The SETUP program should set up the network connection and TCP/IP port on your computer for you and then prompt you to disconnect the USB cable.

Please post back how you get on.

During the set-up, the window on the printer displayed the IP address and the network address. So I assume the printer has identified the source of the wireless network, without the need to hardwire?
I will try the above this evening and see what joy with have, the PC is only positioned about 4ft from the printer at the moment and during set-up, so I expect a good signal.

Please post back how you get on.
Update, tried as you suggested in previous post.
IPCONFIG command, the window just flashed up and vanished, in a split second, so could note the information or ping the number. Set up printer using USB connection, then went down the route of trying to set up wireless by changing from USB to wireless, but unfortunately same problem, could not find the printer.

Hi

I think you missed the line "Open a Command Prompt" Start - Run type in CMD and hit enter.

This will open a command window which will stay open. At the command prompt type IPCONFIG. This will give the IP address of your PC and the Gateway Address, which is the (LAN) IP address of your router. With this information, you can set up your printer with a fixed IP address, but, as it is wireless, it will also need the SSID (wireless network name your router uses) and the wireless password. You should be prompted for this information when setting up the printer using a USB connection.

HTH

I did forget the CMD, right I have now got an IP address and default gateaway.
They are both different to the one that is displayed on the printers screen.
Is this a problem, I have SSID and a password on the router.

Hi

What is the IP address displayed on the printer, and what is the address reported by IPCONFIG on the PC? Are they both in the same subnet (series)? Please post back.

(normally giving out local addresses is pretty safe. Half the world and his wife use local addresses in the 192.168.x.x series)

one end in .5 and the other in .2.
I have since turned the PC off and rebooted then gone through set-up again and printer now working, which is a puzzle in it's self :confused:
Now need to configure to laptop as it is also refusing to connect to that :mad:

Hi

Looks like the wireless printer has obtained its IP address from the router which is acting as a DHCP server (handing out IP addresses on demand). If you open a web browser, and type http:// aaa.bbb.ccc.5 into the address bar (replace aaa.bbb.ccc with the actual IP address values) and hit enter, you should be able to get to the printer's status page. Here, on one of the tabs you will find it's Host Name. For my HP printer that is NPI followed by 6 digits. Note this down, as you will need it later. (If you can't find it, no matter, just use the IP address,

On the laptop, install the driver from the CD or downloaded installation file. Once installation completes, if it does not prompt to search (and find) the printer during install, open the printers folder, right-click on the Photosmart 5520 and go to Printer Properties (Win7) or Properties (XP)
Go to Ports. Click Add new Port
Select Standard TCP/IP port
Type in the Host Name or IP address in the first box
Type in a name (e.g. PSMART5520-5) in the second box (this is what you see on screen in the list of ports)
click Next
Select Generic Network Card and click Next
Click Next all the way out.

If you see a check box "print to this device if its IP address changes" during the above, make sure this IS checked.

You should now be able to print from the laptop.

(I have assumed that the laptop can connect to the network, and the laptop can "see" the desktop machine, and vice versa)

Another issue I have found with some wireless printers is that they don't like the wireless channel set to AUTO in the router configuration. This has caused strange issues for me including printers connecting and then randomly disconnecting.

Sponsored Links
Back