Advice About Making Good Plaster Around New Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm helping my father put in some new windows. When he was pulling the old wooden windows out, the plaster in some areas on the reveals near the windows came away. The plaster that's missing is approx 3mm deep. I don't want to use filler, as the results on medium/largeish areas aren't usually very good.

1) What's the best plaster to buy to repair? Hopefully something that's available in smallish quantities.

2) What's the best tool for applying the plaster to small areas? A standard trowel may be overkill - is a smaller version available?

Any advice would be appreciated.

View media item 68113
View media item 68114

Sponsored Links
How about a plastic trim to cover all the way around the window? Can look nice and neat when sealed properly, and will hide any other little bits of damage around the window...

Thanks for your replies.

The photos show the smaller damaged areas. There are a few more that would certainly be too big for plastic trims, so will need to fill.

One area is 150mm x 400mm. Would Easy Fill still be OK for this, or would something different be advisable? It says that Easy Fill is a joint filler. The damaged areas are certainly bigger than joints.

Sponsored Links
Wickes plasterboard adhesive/filler works a treat and in cheap as chips. Loads better than easi-fill at a fraction of the cost.

Just use patching plaster. Available at any of the DIY sheds. In fact I think some even sell ready mixed tub stuff. If there are enough damaged areas for it to be worthwhile, I'd also invest in a plasterers float, you will get a better finish than just using a filling knife or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back