Browning/bonding or other??!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just taken all of tiles off in my bathroom and I am left with adhesive, and holes all over!!
My plan was to knock adhesive and all old plaster back to breeze block wall.
I am then wondering what is best way to replanted. Should I use browning and then skim? Or bonding?
Or is there a way that I can just knock off most of adhesive and then apply a thin coat of 'something' to fill holes and give semi smooth surface before I reskim?
Any ideas to help me?
Some parts of bathroom are being retiled and others painted so I am not sure if I am best with two methods or one method for both scenarios?

Sponsored Links
Bonding and browning are no good in a bathroom with all the moisture, skim isnt ideal to tile onto and would need tanking where the shower / bath is. render is your best bet, it's the best thing to tile onto too.

• Thanks
Reactions: dpt
You could get some tile adhesive and spread that over the surface and level it up a bit then you can tile over that ,it will save you a lot of hassle and money....

I'm tiling bottom half if bathroom and painting top half - the top half of plaster is ok (as no tiles previous)
I've decided to plaster board the bottom half after stripping back to breeze and finishing it level or just shy of previous plaster. Then going to patch in/feather in to old plaster and tile straight into board.
Any objections?? Are my tiles just going to fall off! :p

Sponsored Links
Its a waterproof membrane that protects the board from moisture, When you tile you use waterproof adhesive and grout, which is not actually waterproof in the sense that water cannot penetrate them, what it means is that they will not break down with moisture. Therefore the water from the shower will be absorbed into the grout and the adhesive and damage the plasterboard behind so a tanking membrane is applied to protect the plasterboard. you can get the kits in screwfix and of course most tile outlets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back