Build sand used in scratch coat (Render)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,

Sorry this is my first time ever posting so I’m honestly not sure if I’m doing it correctly. The other day I decided to "try" rendering the walls of the back garden. However AFTER I finished I found some posts that said NOT to use Build Sand / Red Sand.

Currently I have the entire scratch coat done using build sand, but I’m not sure where to go from here... Would it be a wasted effort to use sharp sand for the second coat... or is the job beyond repair??
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

James

Sponsored Links
Hey Guys,

Sorry this is my first time ever posting so I’m honestly not sure if I’m doing it correctly. The other day I decided to "try" rendering the walls of the back garden. However AFTER I finished I found some posts that said NOT to use Build Sand / Red Sand.

Currently I have the entire scratch coat done using build sand, but I’m not sure where to go from here... Would it be a wasted effort to use sharp sand for the second coat... or is the job beyond repair??

James
Mate it might be to late now but ive just joined,id use builders sand or plastering sand both will work

Hey Guys,

James
Mate it might be to late now but ive just joined,id use builders sand or plastering sand both will work

Not the case i'm afraid builders sand is for brick laying sharp sand is for plastering, What mix did you use for your scratch coat? ie. sand per ratio to cement? Did you put w/proofer in it did you wet down your walls first? Depending on what ratio you used you might get away with it as it is only a garden wall , but it is not common practice to use building sand for rendering ;)

Sponsored Links
I agree with Roy.However, the sand in Ireland may be coarser than the 'building sand ' we use in Britain- deoending on source. Here we get some sand too soft but is still sold as 'rendering sand '. Grain size ' 3mm down' is the fine sharp grade for rendering. How does that compare?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back