Cost of external rendering - reasonable?

H

helium4amc

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give guidance on whether a cost for rendering the back of my house is reasonable...

I have just had a quote for £5300 to re-render the back of the house. It is a Victorian terrace in the Stoke area of Plymouth.

The details of the wall (~3.5 storeys high) are:
~100 square metres, including the windows, which are:
3 x big windows (1m x 1.9 m)
2 x bay windows (each comprising 3 windows in a wooden bay frame, with an opening in the wall of about 1.8m x 1.8m)
There is also a door downstairs.

The quote included:
Hacking off and disposing of all the old paint/render/etc.
Wiring the underneath the bay windows (they are a wooden frame and will have WBP ply put on the outside)
3 coats of render
Stainless steel corner bits (can't remember hat he called them)
Block lining (using a very old tool he has)
Replacing the main 110mm waste pipe, which is ~10.5 m long

So, is £5,300 reasonable for the above, or am I being overcharged (or better, undercharged!)?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Sponsored Links
Your best bet is to

1 - Get at least two other quotes. Make sure like for like.

2 Ask to see the work of everyone quoted. (The reaction alone is worth asking)

The stainless things are 'beads' and it's a good sign of he is using stainless steel. The mesh should be the same or fibreglass not just galvanised.

The 'block lining' is also called 'Ashlar' if you mean forming the outline of blocks or stone in the render
(Don't know the significance of having a very old tool ?)

Presume scaffold included?

I've got a very old tool. (sadly). :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice and clarification Micilin (and the entertainment, everyone else!). I will find a couple more companies to quote for the job.

In terms of the tool, he made a point of telling me that the one he had was over 100 years old (and still hard enough to get the job done, fnar), so I thought I would pass it on!

Cheers,

Andrew

Forgot to answer your questions! I do indeed mean the forming of the outline of blocks. It is (apparently) how they were done originally and he has some sort of iron or press to form the lines.

The scaffolding was an extra £500, for a total £5,800, but I will already have scaffolding up for the guys doing the double glazing.

Cheers,

Andrew

Shame he hasn't got a new tool, probably just a stick. That all it seems you need.
What render is it???? Sand and cement or Through colour ????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back