Cracks in render and resulting damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder could anybody take a look at the pics and tell me what is best to do about the cracks that have appeared outside of a couple of our downstairs windows. Same elevation.
After finding them I went inside and moved a wall unit from against the inside wall and there is quite a damp problem.
I am going to get a dehumidifier on the job tomorrow to try and limit the damage inside, but what can I do about the outside....
Do I fix it temporarily until the better weather comes along or....what.
And in any eventuality, what steps should I take to sort it.

Thanks in advance.
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
The render needs knocked off and replaced.

That looks more like condensation on the inside.

Thanks Alastair for your speedy response, would you tackle the job right away or maybe do something temporary until the drier weather comes back, or is that not a factor.

Its always best tackling rendering work when the forecast is is showing no frost.
Do not render if the temperature is below 3 degrees you have to take into account the fall in temperature at night as the render is drying out.

I'm quite certain the problems you are having inside has no relation to the cracks in the render.
The furniture against the wall prevented the air from circulating and being an external wall the moisture has condensed there.
Keep the furniture off the wall and wash the marks off with diluted water and bleach.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back