Dry lining a ceiling - gap to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to attempt dry lining a ceiling.

I plan to cut boards so that the cuts are against the walls and the tapered edges joined in the middle of the ceiling....is this correct?

I assume there will be some gaps between the boards and the walls. What is used to fill these gaps and what is the best method?

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Normally you would start with a full board, so your first board would most likely have the bonded edge up against the wall from where you start, as well as in position for the second row of boards.
This could of course change depending on how square the walls are, as you may need to angle a cut in, to form your first square edge for second row.

The bonded edge of the board should run perpendicular to the joists and the non-bonded edges should but up together along the joist. This will help prevent the board from sagging, as the bonded edge offers more support.

There are a number of ways to prevent large gaps forming where ceiling meets wall.
One is good tight cutting and using a sub-former to get gaps close and neat.
You could also consider, chasing in to the perimeter of the wall at ceiling level about 12.5mm and tucking the board in to the chase.

Bonding coat in to any large gaps that are left.
To finish this joint off, again a few methods, tape joint in to angle, then plaster ceiling, then cut showing tape once ceiling is dry.
Angle tape in to joint, plaster ceiling then blend in to wall.
I have in the past angled tape in and joint compounded this joint, then plastered ceiling.
Remember to stagger you joints when fixing boards, spacing dry-wall screws about 150-200mm apart.
A useful link

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back