Lime Render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used lime render onto 'egg box' damp proof membrane?

Spec is nominal 50mm of render (3-1 sharp sand : lime) onto wall which bottom metre has the membrane, rest is on to 100 year old brick which is slightly damp .

Finish is rubbed up

Sponsored Links
Not heard of that one before mucka are they plastic membranes shaped like egg boxes ,and fixed to the walls? That sounds like a lot of muck to go on. Do you "scut" it on to the membranes till you build it up to float out?

Archtect wants the lime render to breathe but also has non permeable membrane for it to go on to . Yes I would scut it on (Scud/harl/dash/throw?) but I'm dubious about the spec and probably will turn it down.

Doesn't make sense to me that, breathable lime on membrane!?

U talking about the stuff that looks a bit like rulers uncoupling membrane?

Sounds like a very lengthy process building up that thickness of lime onto a suctionless background.

Company in London called John Newton do tanking type membranes like what I think you're talking about, they have started using diathonite in their system, it's lightweight annd breathable.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't make sense to me that, breathable lime on membrane!?

U talking about the stuff that looks a bit like rulers uncoupling membrane?

Sounds like a very lengthy process building up that thickness of lime onto a suctionless background.

Company in London called John Newton do tanking type membranes like what I think you're talking about, they have started using diathonite in their system, it's lightweight annd breathable.

As you say TM - putting a breathable render on to a non breathable membrane makes no sense to me at all.

The 50mm is crazy too. I reckon it could take 6-7 weeks to finish it .

Pre mixed material will cost near enough £3k (about 100m2)

They want a lime render but don't know anything about it - was wondering if anyone had been asked to do similar?

Cheers

used some pre-bagged moderately hydraulic lime render recently, about 7 tonnes of it, was great as you just sling it in the mixer with water and off you go, no gauging or worrying about the sand being ok, was about £9 a 25kg bag if that helps, was from a company called limetec near Didcot.

Hiya TM,,, good to see you back on here again mucka!! We need to see Richard C and Marshman back too. Come on Rich,, Marshy.;)

It's certainly getting better by the day now TM. We had a clown on here (Peaps) who nearly destroyed this particular forum with his arrogant crap. He's gone now. :LOL:
Are you married yet??? :cool:

yeah, steve was telling me about him. what is it with these people!! Need to go and get themselves a life and leave the decent people on here alone to do what's meant on a forum. Places for people to share ideas and find/offer advice. Glad he's shipped out.

Big day's on the 6th next month mate, well done for remembering :)

yeah, steve was telling me about him. what is it with these people!! Need to go and get themselves a life and leave the decent people on here alone to do what's meant on a forum. Places for people to share ideas and find/offer advice. Glad he's shipped out.

Roughcaster always remembers when another good man is lost..........

Roughcaster always remembers when another good man is lost..........

Has anyone used lime render onto 'egg box' damp proof membrane?

Spec is nominal 50mm of render (3-1 sharp sand : lime) onto wall which bottom metre has the membrane, rest is on to 100 year old brick which is slightly damp .

Finish is rubbed up

Hi,
i think i know what your talking bout.... yellow egg shell membrane with a mesh over top???
*lime render scratch coat(have a cup of tea and watch it all fall off)
*leave for two days.
*float coat.
*leave for two days.
*multi skim.

they use it in to stop damp and salt coming through plaster.
if i remember rightly there was a special salt water proofer put into the scratch coat.
we done it in flood area properties.

hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back